Pillar of Autumn's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

In summary, to evaluate the indefinite integral I, we can rewrite it as \displaystyle \int \sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)-\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta and use the derivatives of \sec(\theta) and \tan(\theta) to solve it. Alternatively, we can use the substitution u = \cos{(\theta)} to evaluate the first integral.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

What is this indefinite integral?

at 0 (angle)

(sin0 - 1)/cos^2(0) d0

Can you please list the steps

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Pillar of Autumn,

we are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int\frac{\sin(\theta)-1}{\cos^2(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

I think the most straightforward method I can think of is to rewrite this as:

\(\displaystyle I=\int \sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)-\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Now, given that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\sec(\theta) \right)=\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\tan(\theta) \right)=\sec^2(\theta)\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\sec(\theta)-\tan(\theta)+C\)

MarkFL said:
Hello Pillar of Autumn,

we are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int\frac{\sin(\theta)-1}{\cos^2(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

I think the most straightforward method I can think of is to rewrite this as:

\(\displaystyle I=\int \sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)-\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Now, given that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\sec(\theta) \right)=\sec(\theta)\tan(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\tan(\theta) \right)=\sec^2(\theta)\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\sec(\theta)-\tan(\theta)+C\)

Or if you're like me, and never remember the derivative of [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sec{(\theta)} \end{align*}[/tex], it can be written as [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\int{ \frac{-\sin{(\theta)}}{\cos^2{(\theta)}} \,d\theta} - \int{\sec^2{(\theta)} \,d\theta} \end{align*}[/tex] and the first integral can be solved with the substitution [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos{(\theta)} \implies du = -\sin{(\theta)} \, d\theta \end{align*}[/tex].

Related to Pillar of Autumn's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an operation used in calculus to find the antiderivative of a function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is the inverse of the derivative. It is used to find the original function when only the derivative is known.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you must use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You must also make sure to use the correct integration formula for the given function and apply any necessary algebraic manipulations. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to ensure accuracy.

3. What is the significance of the Pillar of Autumn in this question?

The Pillar of Autumn is not directly related to the indefinite integral question. It is possible that the person asking the question used it as a username or title for their question, but it does not have any mathematical significance in this context.

4. Can indefinite integrals be used in real-life applications?

Yes, indefinite integrals have many real-life applications, especially in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in motion problems. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model various processes and phenomena.

5. Is there a difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

Yes, there is a difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral. An indefinite integral does not have any limits of integration and gives a general solution, while a definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value. In other words, an indefinite integral represents a family of functions, while a definite integral represents a single value.