Pilot Must Maintain Velocity of 353.11km/h for London-Rome Flight

It is possible that there are mistakes in the answer key or perhaps different methods were used to arrive at the answer. In summary, the velocity the pilot must maintain to fly directly from London to Rome in 3.5 hours is 353.11km/h [34º W of S], which is determined by using the formula Vpa + Vag = Vpg and calculating the components of the velocity in the x and y directions.
richievuong
The displacement from London, Uk, to Rome is 1400km [43 degrees E of S]. A wind is blowing with a velocity of 75km/h [E]. The pilot wants to fly directly from London to Rome in 3.5h. What velocity relative to the air must the pilot maintain?

[p = plane, a = air, g = ground]

Vpa + Vag = Vpg

Vpg = d/t
= 1400km [43º E of S] / 3.5hr
= 400km/h [43º E of S]

Vpgx = 400sin43 = 272.79km/h
Vpgy = 400cos43 = 292.54km/h

Vagx = 75km/h
Vagy = 0

Vx = 272.79 - 75 = 197.79km/h
Vy = 292.52 + 0 = 292.52km/h

V = sqrt 197.79² + 292.52²
V = 353.11km/h

tan-1(197.79/295.52) = 34º

therefore the velocity the pilot must maintain is 353.11km/h [34º W of S] in order to get to Rome from London.

Can someone check over my work, my answer did not match the answer key in the back of my textbook (although it is filled with mistakes)

The answer in my textbook was 550km/h [15º S of W]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer seems fine to me.

Your calculations and solution are correct. The answer in your textbook is incorrect. It is possible that the textbook has a mistake in the given information or in the calculations. It is always important to double-check your work and not rely solely on answer keys.

Related to Pilot Must Maintain Velocity of 353.11km/h for London-Rome Flight

1. What does "Pilot Must Maintain Velocity of 353.11km/h" mean?

It means that the pilot is required to keep the aircraft's speed at a constant rate of 353.11 kilometers per hour during the entire duration of the flight from London to Rome.

2. Why is it important for the pilot to maintain this specific velocity?

This specific velocity is important for the pilot to maintain because it is the optimal speed for the aircraft to travel efficiently and safely from London to Rome. Any deviation from this velocity can affect the performance of the aircraft and potentially compromise the safety of the flight.

3. How is the velocity of the aircraft measured?

The velocity of the aircraft is measured using instruments such as an airspeed indicator, which measures the speed of the aircraft relative to the surrounding air. The pilot also uses other navigation tools and systems to ensure that the aircraft is maintaining the required velocity.

4. What happens if the pilot fails to maintain the required velocity?

If the pilot fails to maintain the required velocity, it can lead to various consequences. It can cause delays in the flight, increase fuel consumption, and put the safety of the passengers and crew at risk. The pilot may also face disciplinary action for not following flight regulations and protocols.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the pilot's ability to maintain the required velocity?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the pilot's ability to maintain the required velocity, such as weather conditions, air traffic, and technical issues with the aircraft. The pilot must constantly monitor and adjust the aircraft's speed to ensure that it stays within the required range.