Pin Connection with one support reaction?

In summary, the diagram explains how the two support reactions at A and G are correct because there is only one member connected.
RadiationX
Please click on the image to make it bigger.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5413/pinconnectiontw4.th.jpg

At pin connnection G shouldn't there be two support reactions just like the pin connection at A?

If the solution in the diagram is correct why is it correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link is not working. I can't access your diagram.

It is working for me. Do you have a pop-up blocker on? The link pops up in a new tab for me( runnning Firefox).

If that won't work, right click on the image and select copy image location and paste that into your browser.

Sorry, there's no response from the site whatever method I use.

I'm outside the USA, maybe that's it.

OK, I got the pic. There's only one member connected to G, so only one reaction, but two on A. Is that what's troubling you ?

Yes, so if there is only one member connectecd then only one reaction is needed? I thought that pin connection always had two reactions regardless of the members.BTW thank you.

Last edited:
In a statics problem, one resolves the forces at each node with the constraint that the total is zero because nothing is moving.

At A there are two forces to be resolved into the horizontal reaction, at G there's only one.

I don't see what is causing you a problem. Am I missing something.

No, I was missing something. You cleared it up for me :O

RadiationX said:
No, I was missing something. You cleared it up for me :O

i m not still clear please help me out. Both A and G are pin connected then why there is one support reaction at G and two at A

aajivani75 said:
i m not still clear please help me out. Both A and G are pin connected then why there is one support reaction at G and two at A
Members subject to forces at their hinges only (a force at each end, with no forces in between the ends) are known, appropriately, as "two-force" members, and in order for the member to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on the member at each end must be equal and opposite and co-linear, acting along the longitudinal 'axial' axis of the member. Since the sole member at G is horizontal, the force acting on it at the pin, G, must be horizontal, with no vertical component.

PhanthomJay said:
Members subject to forces at their hinges only (a force at each end, with no forces in between the ends) are known, appropriately, as "two-force" members, and in order for the member to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on the member at each end must be equal and opposite and co-linear, acting along the longitudinal 'axial' axis of the member. Since the sole member at G is horizontal, the force acting on it at the pin, G, must be horizontal, with no vertical component.

Thanks a lot i got it :)

Related to Pin Connection with one support reaction?

What is a pin connection with one support reaction?

A pin connection with one support reaction is a type of structural connection used in engineering and construction. It consists of a pin or hinge joint at one end of a member, allowing it to rotate freely, while the other end is fixed to a support, creating a single reaction force.

What are the advantages of using a pin connection with one support reaction?

Pin connections with one support reaction offer several advantages, including simplicity, cost-effectiveness, and ease of construction. They also allow for some movement and flexibility in the structure, which can be beneficial in certain situations.

When is a pin connection with one support reaction typically used?

A pin connection with one support reaction is commonly used in truss structures, as it provides a stable and efficient way to transfer loads. It is also used in other types of structures, such as bridges and frames, where a single support point is needed.

What are the limitations of a pin connection with one support reaction?

One limitation of a pin connection with one support reaction is that it cannot resist moments or twisting forces. This means that it is only suitable for structures that experience primarily axial or vertical loads. Additionally, the pin joint may wear over time and require maintenance or replacement.

Are there any safety concerns with using a pin connection with one support reaction?

As with any structural connection, proper design and construction are crucial for ensuring safety. It is important to consider the load and forces acting on the structure, as well as the materials and components used in the connection. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help identify and address any potential safety issues.