How Far Does a Muon Travel Before Decaying?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the expected distance traveled by a muon produced by a pi+ decay, which has an energy of 280MeV in the laboratory frame. Using the rest frame of the pion and Lorentz transformations, the expected distance is found to be 1.56km, with a mean lifetime of 2.2 microseconds in the muon's rest frame. The calculation involves using relativistic energy and momentum equations and taking into account time dilation in moving frames. After correcting for some errors in the calculation, the final answer is determined to be 1551 meters.
ian2012

Homework Statement

A pi+, produced by a cosmic ray, has an energy of 280MeV in the laboratory frame S. It undergoes a decay: pi+ ---> muon+ & muon-neutrino. The muon produced continues to travel along the same direction as the pi+ and has a mean lifetime of 2.2mirco seconds in the muon's rest frame (S''). Calculate the expected distance it would have traveled in the laboratory frame S before decaying.

Homework Equations

In the rest frame of the pion (S'):
[tex]E^{'}_{\mu}=\frac{(m^{2}_{\pi}+m^{2}_{\mu})c^{2}}{2m_{\pi}}[/tex]
[tex]P^{'}_{\mu}=\frac{(m^{2}_{\pi}-m^{2}_{\mu})c}{2m_{\pi}}[/tex]
and other relativistic relations and Lorentz Transforms

[tex]m_{\pi}=139.6\frac{MeV}{c^{2}}, m_{\mu}=105.7\frac{MeV}{c^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the problem, I don't know if i am correct.
The obvious thing to do is find the mean lifetime in the frame S' and the distance in S' in order to solve the equation:
[tex]x_{\mu}=\gamma(x^{'}_{\mu}+vt^{'}_{\mu})[/tex]

To find t' I have used the fact that time dilates in moving frames therefore t' = gamma x t'' (2.2 mircoseconds)
I then used the relativistic momentum equation to find the velocity of muon in the pion rest frame S': v' = 0.28177/gamma
Then i used LT to find the distance traveled in the pion frame = gamma x v x t'' = 0.28177 x t''.
Then I used the energy of the pion in the lab frame to find the velocity of the pion in the lab frame using the relativistic energy equation and the momentum equation to give = 1.739/gamma.
Subbing these into the above equation I got the expected distance = gamma x 4.45x10^-6 metres.
Is this correct? Is the gamma supposed to be there?

Physics news on Phys.org
ian2012 said:
I have attempted the problem, I don't know if i am correct.
The obvious thing to do is find the mean lifetime in the frame S' and the distance in S' in order to solve the equation:
[tex]x_{\mu}=\gamma(x^{'}_{\mu}+vt^{'}_{\mu})[/tex]

To find t', I have used the fact that time dilates in moving frames; therefore, t' = gamma x t'' (2.2 microseconds). I then used the relativistic momentum equation to find the velocity of muon in the pion rest frame S': v' = 0.28177/gamma. Then i used LT to find the distance traveled in the pion frame = gamma x v x t'' = 0.28177 x t''.
Looks okay so far.

Then I used the energy of the pion in the lab frame to find the velocity of the pion in the lab frame using the relativistic energy equation and the momentum equation to give = 1.739/gamma.
So just to be clear: this gamma is for the pion moving relative to S, not the gamma above.

Subbing these into the above equation I got the expected distance = gamma x 4.45x10^-6 metres.
Is this correct? Is the gamma supposed to be there?
I don't follow what you did here. Could you provide more detail, like exactly what quantities you plugged into what equations?

The answer isn't right. You left out a factor of c, for one thing. Even after multiplying your answer by c, it's still off. You should get 1565 meters.

Sorry, but I have been away for a while. Looking back at this question, I've realized what mistakes I've made:
1. I didn't realize gamma can be calculated using Energy and Mass (very trivial).
2. I didn't realize there are two different gamma's, since there are three different frames.
3. I also missed out the speed of light in the final answer, as you pointed out.

The final answer I get is: 1551 metres with minimal rounding of answers. (x' = 179m, v[lab/pion] = 0.867c, t' = 2.29 microseconds). This is a little bit off your 1565 metres.

You miscalculated x'. It should be 186 m.

Oh right yeah of course. I divided by an extra gamma term. Yeah i get x' = 186m and x = 1.56km with rounding. Thanks vela

Related to How Far Does a Muon Travel Before Decaying?

1. What is Pion Decay and how does it occur?

Pion Decay is a process in which a pion particle, made up of a quark and an anti-quark, decays into other particles. This occurs due to the weak interaction, whereby one type of quark can change into another type of quark. The pion typically decays into a muon and a neutrino, or an electron and an anti-neutrino.

2. What is the significance of Lorentz Transforms in Pion Decay?

Lorentz Transforms are used to describe the motion of particles at high speeds and are essential in understanding the decay of pion particles. They help us determine how the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the decay are distributed and conserved.

3. How do Lorentz Transforms affect the measurement of pion decay?

Lorentz Transforms play a crucial role in the measurement of pion decay as they allow us to correct for the effects of special relativity. This is necessary because at high speeds, the time and distance measurements are affected, and without using Lorentz Transforms, our measurements would be inaccurate.

4. What is the relationship between Pion Decay and the Standard Model of Particle Physics?

Pion Decay is a phenomenon that is described and predicted by the Standard Model of Particle Physics. The Standard Model is a theory that explains the fundamental particles and interactions that make up our universe, and pion decay is one of the processes that supports this theory.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying Pion Decay and Lorentz Transforms?

Studying Pion Decay and Lorentz Transforms has several practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and medical imaging. Pion decay is a crucial process in understanding the structure of matter, and Lorentz Transforms are used in various technologies, including MRI machines, to accurately measure and analyze the movement of particles and objects at high speeds.