Pion decay via the weak interaction

In summary, The conversation discusses pion decay via the weak interaction and the use of Feynman diagrams to represent the process. It is explained that the u-bar quark drawn in the diagram is actually a u-quark moving backwards in time, and the interaction results in the production of a W boson which then decays into the desired products. The concept of helicity and parity violation in weak interactions is also briefly discussed, with the reminder that parity is multiplicative and therefore can be conserved in certain situations such as electromagnetic interactions.
rayveldkamp
Hi, i have a particle physics exam in 2 days and am confused on pion decay via the weak interaction, namely:

pi[-] ->muon + anti-muno neutrino

Thankyou
Ray Veldkamp

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question? :confused:

indeed Tom, you are right, i don't get the point either...
marlon

Sorry guys i should have been more specific. In lectures we were shown to draw Feynnman diagrams to represent these weak interaction questions. My question is, how do the two quarks in the pion produce the muon and anti-muon-neutrino via virtual W+/W- exchange?
In lectures we were told that emission or absorption of the W bosons will only change a particle to its doublet partner, so I am not seeing how there can be no quarks after the interaction, unless some kind of annhilation takes place.

Thanks
Ray

In the Feynman diagram, note that the u-bar quark is drawn as a u-quark going backwards in time. So the incoming d-quark and the outgoing u-quark do in fact react to produce a W boson, which decays into the products you mentioned. I wouldn't call this an "annihilation" of the quarks, since that term is normally reserved for the mutual cancellation of a particle with its own antiparticle to produce photons. In this instance, the quarks are destroyed to produce not a photon, but a W.

Thanks that makes sense.
I have one more question, concerning helicity and parity violation of the weak interaction. I understand that fermions participating in weak interactions are emitted and absorbed predominantly in negative helicity states, and we have seen that parity transformations change a negative helicity state to a positive helicity.
What i don't understand, is that if we consider say an electromagnetic interaction, if a particle is in a negative helicity state, wouldn't a parity transformation change it to a positive, and hence the electromagnetic interaction would violate parity?

Sorry if that's vague
Thanks
Ray

rayveldkamp said:
Thanks that makes sense.
What i don't understand, is that if we consider say an electromagnetic interaction, if a particle is in a negative helicity state, wouldn't a parity transformation change it to a positive, and hence the electromagnetic interaction would violate parity?

Don't forget that the parity of the photon is negative. So if you emit a γ in an EM interaction, and there is a parity change in the material system, the overall parity is conserved. Remember that parity is multiplicative, so πparticleπphoton=(-1)(-1)=1.

Related to Pion decay via the weak interaction

1. What is pion decay via the weak interaction?

Pion decay via the weak interaction is a process in which a pion, a subatomic particle composed of a quark and an antiquark, decays into lighter particles through the weak nuclear force. This process is important in understanding the fundamental interactions of particles and the behavior of matter in the universe.

2. How does pion decay via the weak interaction occur?

Pion decay via the weak interaction occurs when one of the quarks in the pion transforms into another type of quark, resulting in the release of a W boson. The W boson then decays into either an electron and an electron antineutrino or a muon and a muon antineutrino. This process is governed by the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

3. What are the products of pion decay via the weak interaction?

The products of pion decay via the weak interaction are either an electron and an electron antineutrino or a muon and a muon antineutrino. Depending on which type of quark in the pion decays, the resulting products may vary. Additionally, the pion itself may also decay into a photon or a pair of photons, but this is a much rarer occurrence.

4. What is the significance of pion decay via the weak interaction?

Pion decay via the weak interaction is significant because it helps us understand the underlying structure of matter and the fundamental interactions of particles. It also plays a role in determining the rate of radioactive decay, which is important in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.

5. Can pion decay via the weak interaction be observed?

Yes, pion decay via the weak interaction can be observed in high-energy particle accelerators and cosmic ray detectors. By studying the products of pion decay, scientists can learn more about the properties of the weak nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles. This process can also be simulated using advanced computer models to further our understanding of the fundamental interactions of particles.