Pion decaying into two photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that a neutral pion traveling along the x-axis had a speed of 0.5c by decaying into two photons, one moving forward and the other backward, with the first photon having three times the energy of the second. Conservation of energy and momentum equations are used to solve for the frequency of one of the photons, which is then used to cancel out unnecessary variables and ultimately solve for the pion's initial velocity. It is also mentioned that the pion's mass is not needed in the calculations. Additional discussion includes proving that if the first photon has x times the energy of the second, the pion's initial velocity is (x-1)/(x+1)
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

A neutral pion traveling along the x-axis decays into two photons, one being ejected exactly forward and the other exactly backward. The first photon has three times the energy of the second. Prove that the original pion had speed 0.5c.

Homework Equations

for m=0, E=p*c
conservation of Energy E^2=(c*p)^2+(m*c^2)^2
gamma=1/sqrt(1-Beta^2)
Beta = v/c
p=gamma*m*v
E=gamma*m*c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know momentum and energy are conserved giving me the following equations. Epion = 3*Ephoton1 + Ephoton2 and Ppion = Photon1 - Pphoton2. I know the mass of a pion at 140MeV/C^2. For a massless particles E = pc and for the pion E = gamma*m*c^2. I want to find expressions for Ephoton1 + Ephoton2 that do not have P or E in it to solve for the velocity. Though I cannot seem to make any progress with this approach. I need a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
koab1mjr said:

Homework Statement

A neutral pion traveling along the x-axis decays into two photons, one being ejected exactly forward and the other exactly backward. The first photon has three times the energy of the second. Prove that the original pion had speed 0.5c.

Homework Equations

for m=0, E=p*c
conservation of Energy E^2=(c*p)^2+(m*c^2)^2
gamma=1/sqrt(1-Beta^2)
Beta = v/c
p=gamma*m*v
E=gamma*m*c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know momentum and energy are conserved giving me the following equations. Epion = 3*Ephoton1 + Ephoton2 and Ppion = Photon1 - Pphoton2. I know the mass of a pion at 140MeV/C^2. For a massless particles E = pc and for the pion E = gamma*m*c^2. I want to find expressions for Ephoton1 + Ephoton2 that do not have P or E in it to solve for the velocity. Though I cannot seem to make any progress with this approach. I need a hint.

I had troubles on this one too.

First and foremost is that the frequency of either photon is not given, so right away, conservation of energy gives nothing. However, if you solve for the frequency of one of the photons, say photon(a) by using conservation of momentum, you will get:

f(a)=(3(gamma)mvc/2h)

Then, by plugging that number into f(a) for conservation of energy, Doctor Fenstermacher made it very easy to cancel out all variables that we don't need.

See you in class!

Use E2 - p2 = m2. The use the relationship between E and m, or p and m, to give you v.

Note that you don't need the pion mass.

Thanks for the help!

Solved it

Good. Now see if you understand it. Can you prove that if the first photon has x times the energy of the second, the pion's initial velocity is (x-1)/(x+1) of c?

Let me take a crack at it. I'll be back

Related to Pion decaying into two photons

1. What is a pion?

A pion is a subatomic particle that is made up of a quark and an antiquark. It is a type of meson, which is a particle made up of a quark and an antiquark.

2. How does a pion decay into two photons?

A pion can decay into two photons through the process of annihilation, where the quark and antiquark in the pion annihilate each other and produce two photons as a result.

3. What is the significance of pion decay into two photons?

Pion decay into two photons is significant because it is an example of a particle decaying into two particles with no mass. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and can provide insights into the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

4. How is pion decay into two photons studied?

Pion decay into two photons can be studied through experiments in particle accelerators, where pions are accelerated to high energies and then allowed to decay. Scientists can also study this process through theoretical calculations using mathematical models and equations.

5. What are the potential applications of pion decay into two photons?

One potential application of pion decay into two photons is in medical imaging, specifically in positron emission tomography (PET) scans. In PET scans, a radioactive material that decays into two photons is injected into the body and the resulting photons are detected to create images of the body's internal organs and tissues.