Pivoted bar swinging top to bottom

• Thread starter postfan
  • Start date
In summary, the bar swings down with no friction and the angular speed, angular acceleration, and linear speed are all found.
postfan

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of mass and length is pivoted at one end and is held vertically as shown. After the bar is released, it swings downward with no friction in the pivot.

At the instant the bar is at the bottom of the swing, find the magnitudes of the following quantities:

The angular speed of the bar

The angular acceleration of the bar

The linear speed of the free end of the bar

The horizontal component of the acceleration of the free end of the bar

The vertical component of the acceleration of the free end of the bar

The linear speed of the midpoint of the bar

The horizontal component of the acceleration of the midpoint of the bar

The vertical component of the acceleration of the midpoint of the bar

The horizontal component of the force exerted on the bar by the hinge

The vertical component of the force exerted on the bar by the hinge

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I found the MoI and got 1/3ML^2 through parallel axis, then used conservation of energy : mgh=.5 I w*2 and got sqrt(3*g/L) (used L/2 for h), but it's wrong.

Attachments

• pivoted_bar_swinging_top_bottom.png
    pivoted_bar_swinging_top_bottom.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got that, too! But I think we have the change in height wrong. The center of mass falls more than L/2; it swings down below the pivot point.

Then what is the change in height?

Initially the center of mass of the swinging bar is L/2 above the pivot.
After the swing it is L/2 below the pivot.
At least that is how it reads to me . . . it actually doesn't say what "at the bottom of the swing" means. The arc shown in the diagram suggests it only goes down to the horizontal orientation. Worth a try to see if a change in height of L produces the "right" answer.

You're right. To find the angular acceleration can I use the formula alpha=T/I, and if so does T=Lg?

T = torque. Yes, that should work. Note that the torque varies with position of the rod as it falls. In fact, the torque appears to be zero initially so I wonder why it falls! Anyway, you will want to sketch a diagram of it in the bottom of the swing position showing the force that causes the torque and its direction so you can see what torque there is.

Last edited:

Related to Pivoted bar swinging top to bottom

What is a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom?

A pivoted bar swinging top to bottom is a type of motion where a bar is attached to a pivot point and swings back and forth in a vertical direction.

What is the purpose of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom?

The purpose of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom is to demonstrate the principles of rotational motion and the effects of gravity on an object.

What factors affect the motion of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom?

The factors that affect the motion of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom include the length and weight of the bar, the distance from the pivot point, and the force of gravity.

How does the motion of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom differ from a regular pendulum?

The motion of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom is similar to that of a pendulum, but it has a larger range of motion and a more complex swinging pattern due to the additional pivot point.

What are some real-life applications of a pivoted bar swinging top to bottom?

A pivoted bar swinging top to bottom can be seen in playground swings, amusement park rides, and even in some mechanical devices such as clocks and metronomes.