Planck Time Problem: Calculation & Explanation

In summary, you need to find a combination of the three constants that has the dimensions of time. The time is called Planck time and represents the age of the universe before which the laws of physics as presently understood cannot be applied. You can find this time using the formula derived in part (a).
Sagari

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,
Just started a Mechanical Engineering Course and in my Physics this came up, I'm really confused and don't know were to start. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. Thanks guys.

Three of the fundamental constants of physics are the speed of light, c = 3.0 × 10⁸ m/s, the universal gravitational constant, G = 6.7 × 10ˉ¹¹m³·kgˉ¹·sˉ², and Planck’s constant,
h = 66 × 10ˉ³⁴kg·m²·sˉ¹.
Find a combination of these three constants that has the dimensions of time. The time is called Planck time and represents the age of the universe before which the laws of physics as presently understood cannot be applied.
Using the formula for the Planck time derived in part (a), what is the time in seconds?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sagari said:

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,
Just started a Mechanical Engineering Course and in my Physics this came up, I'm really confused and don't know were to start. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the subject. Thanks guys.

Three of the fundamental constants of physics are the speed of light, c = 3.0 × 10⁸ m/s, the universal gravitational constant, G = 6.7 × 10ˉ¹¹m³·kgˉ¹·sˉ², and Planck’s constant,
h = 66 × 10ˉ³⁴kg·m²·sˉ¹.
Find a combination of these three constants that has the dimensions of time. The time is called Planck time and represents the age of the universe before which the laws of physics as presently understood cannot be applied.
Using the formula for the Planck time derived in part (a), what is the time in seconds?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If you multiply G by h, the units are (m³·kgˉ¹·sˉ²) x (kg·m²·sˉ¹)

this gives

kg0·m5·sˉ3

which isn't seconds, but at least the kg has gone!

Use the right amount of the quantities and you will be left with just seconds, presumably.

EDIT: there was no real reason why I chose G and H to start with - but I had to chose a couple of them to show what happens.

PeterO said:
If you multiply G by h, the units are (m³·kgˉ¹·sˉ²) x (kg·m²·sˉ¹)

this gives

kg0·m5·sˉ3

which isn't seconds, but at least the kg has gone!

Use the right amount of the quantities and you will be left with just seconds, presumably.

EDIT: there was no real reason why I chose G and H to start with - but I had to chose a couple of them to show what happens.

Ok mate thanks for the help

FAQ: Planck Time Problem: Calculation & Explanation

1. What is Planck time and why is it important?

Planck time is the smallest unit of time that can be measured, equal to 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds. It is important because it is thought to be the earliest moment in the history of the universe and plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of physics.

2. How is Planck time calculated?

Planck time is calculated using the Planck length (the smallest possible length) and the speed of light. It is derived from the combination of fundamental constants such as the gravitational constant, the speed of light, and the reduced Planck constant.

3. What is the significance of the Planck time problem?

The Planck time problem arises when trying to reconcile the laws of general relativity and quantum mechanics. According to the laws of general relativity, time should be continuous and smooth, while quantum mechanics suggests that time is discrete and jagged. This inconsistency is known as the Planck time problem.

4. How have scientists attempted to solve the Planck time problem?

Scientists have proposed various theories and models, such as loop quantum gravity and string theory, to try and reconcile the laws of general relativity and quantum mechanics. However, there is currently no consensus on a single solution to the Planck time problem.

5. Could the Planck time problem be the key to understanding the nature of the universe?

It is possible that solving the Planck time problem could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially even lead to a unified theory of physics. However, more research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and solve this problem.

Back