Plane immersed in the earth's vertically downward-pointing magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a passenger jet is flying over Alaska in the Earth's magnetic field and asks the question of calculating the potential difference between the wingtips of the jet. The answer is determined to be 0.45 volts using the generator formula. The second part of the conversation discusses which wingtip has a positive charge, which is determined to be the left wingtip using hand rules.
syhpui2

Homework Statement

This question and the next two refer to this situation:

http://i.imgur.com/dgJMR.png

dgJMR.png

A passenger jet is flying over Alaska in level flight at a constant altitude h = 10 km and constant speed of v = 300 m/s, immersed in the Earth's vertically downward-pointing magnetic field of B = 30 μT. The distance between the tips of the aircraft's metal wings is d = 50 m.

Part A:
Calculate the potential difference ε between the aircraft's wing tips due its motion through the Earth's magnetic field.
(a) ε = 0.0 volts
(b) ε = 0.45 volts
(c) ε = 0.90 volts

Answer is B

Part B
Which wingtip has positive charge, as viewed by a passenger in the airplane who is facing in the direction that the airplane is traveling?
(a) the right wingtip
(b) the left wingtip
(c) neither wingtip

Answer is B

Homework Equations

emf = d flux / dt

flux = int[B*dA]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I tried formula above, I get answer C, because I thought I need to calculate difference for both wings? Part B I used F=BIL, however, I get the force is on right wing? What is the relationship between force ans its direction of the plane that traveling?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
For part A, I used the generator formula V = L*v*B = 50*300*30x10^-6 = 0.45 Volts. Had I used only one wing length I would have gotten half that voltage.

Part B is not a formula question. Use hand rules to figure out which way the electrons are pushed. Then you can tell which side is negative and which is positive.

Delphi51 said:
For part A, I used the generator formula V = L*v*B = 50*300*30x10^-6 = 0.45 Volts. Had I used only one wing length I would have gotten half that voltage.

Part B is not a formula question. Use hand rules to figure out which way the electrons are pushed. Then you can tell which side is negative and which is positive.

Everything makes sense now, thanks!

Related to Plane immersed in the earth's vertically downward-pointing magnetic field

1. How does a plane immersed in the earth's vertically downward-pointing magnetic field affect the plane's navigation?

When a plane is immersed in the earth's vertically downward-pointing magnetic field, it can affect the plane's navigation by causing the plane's compass to deviate from the true north direction. This is because the magnetic field lines are not aligned with the geographic north-south axis.

2. How does the strength of the earth's magnetic field change with altitude?

The strength of the earth's magnetic field decreases with altitude. This is because the magnetic field is primarily generated by the earth's core, which is located deep underground. As you move away from the core, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

3. Can a plane's navigation system compensate for the effects of the earth's magnetic field?

Yes, a plane's navigation system can compensate for the effects of the earth's magnetic field by using a magnetometer to measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The navigation system can then make adjustments to the compass readings to account for the deviation caused by the magnetic field.

4. How does the earth's magnetic field affect other instruments on board a plane?

The earth's magnetic field can affect other instruments on board a plane, such as gyroscopes and magnetometers. This can lead to errors in instrument readings, which can be corrected by the navigation system.

5. Are there any safety concerns with planes flying in the earth's magnetic field?

There are no significant safety concerns with planes flying in the earth's magnetic field. However, it is important for pilots to be aware of the effects of the magnetic field on navigation and to use proper techniques to compensate for it. In rare cases, extreme magnetic storms can cause disruptions to communication and navigation systems, but these events are closely monitored and managed by air traffic control.