Plane parallel to the xy plane?

In summary, the equation of a plane parallel to the xy plane and passing through the point (4, 2, -7) is z= -7.
Raerin
What is the equation of a plane that passes through the point (4,2,-7) and is parallel to the xy plane?

I know that on the xy plane z = 0, so the direction vector is (1,1,0). Would a direction vector of the parallel line be (2,2,0)?

If so the final equation is p=(4,2,-7)+s(1,1,0) + t(2,2,0)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Raerin said:
What is the equation of a plane that passes through the point (4,2,-7) and is parallel to the xy plane?

I know that on the xy plane z = 0, so the direction vector is (1,1,0). Would a direction vector of the parallel line be (2,2,0)?

A plane has 2 independent direction vectors.
I'm afraid (1,1,0) and (2,2,0) are not independent.
That's because one is a multiple of the other.
Proper independent vectors would for instance be (1,0,0) and (0,1,0).
They both have z-coordinate 0, and one is not a multiple of the other.

Anyway, the question asks for an equation.
That would be an equation of the form ax+by+cz=d.

Since you know that the plane is supposed to be parallel to the xy plane, what would its general form be?

I like Serena said:
A plane has 2 independent direction vectors.
I'm afraid (1,1,0) and (2,2,0) are not independent.
That because one is a multiple of the other.
Proper independent vectors would for instance be (1,0,0) and (0,1,0).
They both have z-coordinate 0, and one is not a multiple of the other.

Anyway, the question asks for an equation.
That would be an equation of the form ax+by+cz=d.

Since you know that the plane is supposed to be parallel to the xy plane, what would its general form be?

So the second direction vector in the parallel plane just need to have z=0 and be non-colinear with the first vector?

For (1,0,0) the equation would be:

z + 7 = 0?

Raerin said:
So the second direction vector in the parallel plane just need to have z=0 and be non-colinear with the first vector?

Yep.
For (1,0,0) the equation would be:

z + 7 = 0?

Not sure how you tie (1,0,0) in, but yes, that is the equation of the plane parallel to the xy plane which contains (4,2,-7). :cool:

I like Serena said:
Yep.

Not sure how you tie (1,0,0) in, but yes, that is the equation of the plane parallel to the xy plane which contains (4,2,-7). :cool:

I found the cross product between (1,1,0) and (1,0,0). The result was (0,0,1) and I just subbed in (4, 2, -7) to z=0 to find the d value of the equation ax+by+cz+d=0

This method is correct, right? Or was my answer just coincidentally right?

Raerin said:
I found the cross product between (1,1,0) and (1,0,0). The result was (0,0,1) and I just subbed in (4, 2, -7) to z=0 to find the d value of the equation ax+by+cz+d=0

This method is correct, right? Or was my answer just coincidentally right?

The method is correct yes.

Raerin said:

I know that on the xy plane z = 0, so the direction vector is (1,1,0).
The "direction vector" of what? You use "direction vectors" to find the equaton of a line, not a plane. For a plane, you want to use the normal/b] vector.

Would a direction vector of the parallel line be (2,2,0)?
And here you say "parallel line" rather than "plane". You appear to be confusing the two.

If the xy- plane, where every point has the form (x, y, 0) has equation z= 0, isn't it obvious that the equation of a plane parallel to that must be "z= constant" for some constant?

Related to Plane parallel to the xy plane?

1. What does it mean for a plane to be parallel to the xy plane?

When a plane is parallel to the xy plane, it means that the plane and the xy plane never intersect and are always the same distance apart.

2. How can you determine if a plane is parallel to the xy plane?

To determine if a plane is parallel to the xy plane, you can use the equation of the plane and check if the z-coordinate is always the same for all points on the plane. If the z-coordinate is constant, then the plane is parallel to the xy plane.

3. What is the angle between a plane parallel to the xy plane and the xy plane?

The angle between a plane parallel to the xy plane and the xy plane is 0 degrees. This means that the two planes are completely flat and do not intersect at any point.

4. Can a plane be parallel to both the xy plane and the yz plane at the same time?

No, a plane can only be parallel to one plane at a time. If it is parallel to the xy plane, then it cannot be parallel to the yz plane at the same time. However, it is possible for a plane to be parallel to the xy plane and perpendicular to the yz plane.

5. How does a plane parallel to the xy plane affect the coordinates of points on the plane?

A plane parallel to the xy plane does not affect the x and y coordinates of points on the plane, but the z-coordinate will remain constant. This means that the points on the plane will have the same x and y coordinates, but different z coordinates.