Plane wave in Minkowski space-time

In summary: I don't think it is a useful concept for understanding electrodynamics.In summary, the classical expression of a plane electromagnetic wave (electric part) closely resembles the basis function of the Fourier decomposition in Minkowski space-time. However, the inner product used in Minkowski space is different from the Euclidean inner product used in classical settings. It is unclear whether or how these two concepts are related.
Wox
The classical expression of a plane electromagnetic wave (electric part)

[tex]
\bar{E}(t,\bar{x})=\bar{E}_{0}e^{i(\bar{k}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)}
[/tex]

looks a lot like the basis function of the Fourier decomposition in Minkowski space-time

[tex]
\bar{E}(\bar{w})=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\hat{\bar{E}}(\bar{\nu})e^{2\pi i\ \eta(\bar{\nu},\bar{w})}d\bar{\nu}
[/tex]

where [itex]\bar{E}\colon\mathbb{R}^{4}\to\mathbb{R}^{4}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{w}=(ct,\bar{x})[/itex]. If I write [itex]\bar{\nu}=\frac{\nu}{c}(1,\bar{n})[/itex] with [itex]\left\|\bar{n}\right\|=1[/itex] then we get

[itex]\eta(\bar{\nu},\bar{w})=\frac{\nu}{c}\bar{n}\cdot \bar{x}-\nu t=\frac{1}{2\pi}(\bar{k}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)[/itex] and

[tex]
\bar{E}(\bar{w})=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\hat{\bar{E}}(\bar{\nu})e^{ i\ (\bar{k}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)}d\bar{\nu}
[/tex]

and for a monochromatic wave

[tex]
\bar{E}(\bar{w})=\bar{E}(ct,\bar{x})=\hat{\bar{E}}(\bar{\nu})e^{ i\ (\bar{k}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)}
[/tex]

which is close to the classical expression, but not exactly. So the point is, I feel Fourier decomposition in Minkowski space and the classical plane wave are related, but I'm not sure how. Can someone clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vox,

Fourier decomposition in both cases is implemented by taking the inner product of each possible frequency component with each frequency component of the actual wave. That works because all frequency components are mutually orthogonal (when evaluated over a suitably long time interval). But the definition of an inner product is very different in Minkowski space compared with a classical setting (Euclidean geometry).

The definition of the inner product for Minkowski space is described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space#The_Minkowski_inner_product

Last edited:
I used the proper Minkowskian inner product in [itex]\eta(\bar{\nu},\bar{w})=...[/itex] assuming signature (-+++), while [itex]\bar{k}\cdot \bar{x}[/itex] is the Euclidean inner product.

I don't know what you mean by "in both cases". Consider the Fourier decomposition of any map [itex]\bar{E}\colon\mathbb{R}^{4}\to\mathbb{R}^{4}[/itex] then the basis functions of the Fourier decomposition (frequency components) are [itex]\hat{\bar{E}}(\bar{\nu})e^{2\pi i\ \eta(\bar{\nu},\bar{w})}[/itex]. In the context of electrodynamics, [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] is an electric field and the basis functions look very much like plane waves. My question is: are these plane waves and if yes, how can you show this? (my attempt in the original post didn't work).

When I say "looks like", I mean that [itex]\bar{k}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t[/itex] is the Minkowskian inner product of [itex](t,\bar{x})[/itex] and [itex](\omega,\bar{k})[/itex], although I'm not sure what the last four-vectors represents.

Last edited:
Sorry. I'm not sure how you would even define a plane in Minkowski space. There seems to be some ideas expressed in mathematical literature but they look a bit esoteric to me.

Related to Plane wave in Minkowski space-time

1. What is a plane wave in Minkowski space-time?

A plane wave in Minkowski space-time is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant frequency and wavelength, and travels in a straight line at the speed of light. It is described by a sinusoidal function in the space-time coordinates of Minkowski space.

2. How is a plane wave different from other types of electromagnetic waves?

A plane wave differs from other types of electromagnetic waves, such as spherical waves, in that its wavefronts are flat and parallel to each other. This means that the amplitude of the wave is constant in all directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

3. What is the significance of Minkowski space-time in relation to plane waves?

Minkowski space-time, also known as spacetime, is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into a four-dimensional continuum. This model is crucial for understanding the behavior of plane waves, as it allows for the representation of the wave in both space and time.

4. How are plane waves used in physics and engineering?

Plane waves have many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of electromagnetism and optics. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of electromagnetic waves in various systems, such as antennas, optical fibers, and electromagnetic radiation in space.

5. Are there any real-life examples of plane waves in Minkowski space-time?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of plane waves in Minkowski space-time. Some examples include radio waves used for communication, light waves in optical systems, and electromagnetic radiation from stars and other celestial bodies. These waves are all described by the same sinusoidal function in Minkowski space-time.