Plane-wave molecular integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of plane-wave basis functions for molecules and the challenges they present in dealing with the coulomb potential. Some potential solutions, such as using Fourier transforms or a general multipole expansion, are mentioned but their effectiveness is questioned. The conversation ultimately suggests that plane waves are not ideal for this purpose and that there are easier ways to evaluate the necessary integrals.
Morberticus
Hi,

Just wondering about the state of the literature regarding plane-wave molecular integrals. The coulomb potential seems to be causing problems for me. I assumed I would need to consider a general multipole expansion to integrate over a potential |r-r'|^-1 but I have had a look around and some people seem to use a Fourier transform to avoid difficulties. Most of the literature I have come across concerns Gaussian wavefunctions (presumably due to their usefulness in quantum chemistry) and I am wondering if there is an equivalent review of plane-wave basis functions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Plane waves are lousy basis functions for molecules; I don't know why you'd want to use them. That said, it's been done and tried if you look in the literature.

The area where they have real applications (in this context) is solid-state systems, where they're known as Bloch functions. (or rather, Bloch functions describe the expansion) Any SS book should tell you all about it.

The coulomb integral is diagonal in Fourier space. It's just 1 / k^2 where k is the wavevector.

wsttiger said:
The coulomb integral is diagonal in Fourier space. It's just 1 / k^2 where k is the wavevector.

I think the reason the Fourier transform is used is possibly to exploit

[tex]\int e^{ik(r-r')}dk = 2\pi\delta(r-r')[/tex]

or to approximate 1/|r-r'| by considering a finite interval for the Fourier integral, but I have not figured out how yet.

I am effectively looking for a valid approximation of |r-r|^-1. I have tried a general multiple explansion but it seems to break galilean invariance.

I'm having trouble understanding what you are asking.

Fourier transforms are used to transform a real-space function (like an orbital) into momentum space (i.e., change the basis into a plane-wave basis). Once this is done, the |r-r'|^-1 convolution can be performed by dividing by k^2 (where k is the wavevector). Then the result can be Fourier transformed back into real space.

Is this not what you were asking?

BTW, like the above poster said ... plane waves make lousy basis functions for molecules; even for solid state crystals, plane wave codes need to use pseudopotentials to represent the core electrons.

wsttiger said:
I'm having trouble understanding what you are asking.

Fourier transforms are used to transform a real-space function (like an orbital) into momentum space (i.e., change the basis into a plane-wave basis). Once this is done, the |r-r'|^-1 convolution can be performed by dividing by k^2 (where k is the wavevector). Then the result can be Fourier transformed back into real space.

Is this not what you were asking?

BTW, like the above poster said ... plane waves make lousy basis functions for molecules; even for solid state crystals, plane wave codes need to use pseudopotentials to represent the core electrons.

I know they're normally bad, but their nodal structure is useful for what I'm trying to do. It's just that I'm having trouble formulating the two-electron integrals <ij|g|kl> in a computer-friendly way.

Morberticus said:
I know they're normally bad, but their nodal structure is useful for what I'm trying to do. It's just that I'm having trouble formulating the two-electron integrals <ij|g|kl> in a computer-friendly way.

You wouldn't mind explaining what you're trying to do, instead? It's easier to give advice that way.
I ask because I recall answering another of your questions, where it turned out that what you were ultimately trying to do wasn't going to work.

Two-electron integral evaluation, under any circumstance, is not a cakewalk. After all, we're talking about what John Pople got the Nobel prize for, and spent much of his career working on.

alxm said:
You wouldn't mind explaining what you're trying to do, instead? It's easier to give advice that way.
I ask because I recall answering another of your questions, where it turned out that what you were ultimately trying to do wasn't going to work.

Do you meant he multipole expansion? I am still trying to get that to work. The trouble is the epansion breaks galilean invariance for me, though perhaps you're right, and that is unavoidable.

I'm not trying to do anything too exotic, just trying to see if there's an easy way to evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int e^{iAr}e^{iBr'}\frac{1}{|r-r'|}e^{-iCr}e^{-iDr'}drdr'[/tex]

Where the middle term |r-r'|^-1 seems to be giving me all the hassle.

That does not look too difficult: introduce A'=A-C and B'=B-D so that you only have two exponentials. Then introducing X=(A'+B')/2, Y=(A'-B')/2 and Q=(r+r')/2 and q=(r-r')/2
the integral becomes 1/2 int exp(i (2XQ+2Yq)) /|q| dq dQ. The integral over Q becomes a delta function for X and the integral over q is the Fourier transform of the coulomb potential which is proportional to 1/Y^2.

DrDu said:
That does not look too difficult: introduce A'=A-C and B'=B-D so that you only have two exponentials. Then introducing X=(A'+B')/2, Y=(A'-B')/2 and Q=(r+r')/2 and q=(r-r')/2
the integral becomes 1/2 int exp(i (2XQ+2Yq)) /|q| dq dQ. The integral over Q becomes a delta function for X and the integral over q is the Fourier transform of the coulomb potential which is proportional to 1/Y^2.

Thanks. I think the Fourier transform is causing the the greatest difficulty for me.
An older thread of mine: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=425274

If it is proportional to 1/Y^2 does that mean there is a simple expression for it?

Yes, but the derivation of the Fourier transform of the coulomb potential can be found in any book on quantum chemistry or solid state physics.

Related to Plane-wave molecular integrals

1. What are plane-wave molecular integrals?

Plane-wave molecular integrals are mathematical calculations used in computational chemistry to describe the interactions between molecules. They involve the integration of a plane wave function over the molecular orbital densities of two or more molecules.

2. How are plane-wave molecular integrals different from other types of molecular integrals?

Plane-wave molecular integrals differ from other types of molecular integrals, such as Gaussian or Slater-type integrals, in that they use a different basis function. Instead of using a Gaussian or Slater function, plane-wave integrals use a plane wave function, which has a simpler mathematical form and can be more easily evaluated.

3. What is the significance of plane-wave molecular integrals in computational chemistry?

Plane-wave molecular integrals are an important tool in computational chemistry because they allow for accurate and efficient calculations of molecular properties, such as energies and electron densities. They are particularly useful for studying large and complex molecules, where other types of integrals may be too computationally expensive.

4. How are plane-wave molecular integrals calculated?

Plane-wave molecular integrals are typically calculated using numerical methods, such as Gaussian quadrature or Monte Carlo integration. These methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and using numerical techniques to approximate the solution.

5. What are some applications of plane-wave molecular integrals?

Plane-wave molecular integrals have a wide range of applications in computational chemistry, including molecular dynamics simulations, electronic structure calculations, and the prediction of molecular properties. They are also used in materials science for the study of crystal structures and in drug discovery for the simulation of drug-molecule interactions.

Back