Planning Ahead: Comparing MSAE & MAE Degrees

• Thread starter djeitnstine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, if your goal is to secure a job upon graduating and potentially work in Europe, the MSAE program at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University may be the better option for you due to its advanced degree and thesis component.
djeitnstine
Gold Member
Hello...graduation is still 2 years away however I do enjoy planning ahead with my life 5 years at least. I was looking at the graduate degree levels my school offers (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University). At first I was intending to do their Accelerated Masters program which would simply be an extra year and would give me an MAE (Masters in Aerospace Engineering) However they do offer the MSAE. I'm wondering which one would put me in a better position job wise as I really need to find a job upon graduating. they both seem very similar but MSAE has a thesis.

EDIT: where I'd like to work is Europe but anywhere is fine really

Physics news on Phys.org
.The MSAE program is likely to put you in a better position job-wise, as it will give you more of an advanced degree. Additionally, having a thesis component may make you a more attractive candidate for employers, as it shows that you have the ability to complete long-term projects and research. Furthermore, many employers in Europe may prefer candidates with the MSAE degree due to its more advanced nature. Ultimately, the decision between the MAE and MSAE is up to you, but I would recommend the MSAE if you want to have a better job outlook after graduation.

I understand the importance of planning ahead and considering the best options for your future. Both the MSAE and MAE degrees at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University are excellent choices for a career in aerospace engineering. However, there are some key differences between the two that may affect your job prospects.

The MSAE, with its thesis requirement, may provide you with a more well-rounded and in-depth understanding of the field. This could be beneficial for job opportunities, especially if you are interested in pursuing research or advanced positions in the aerospace industry. On the other hand, the MAE may be a more practical choice for those seeking immediate employment after graduation.

Additionally, it is important to consider the location where you would like to work. While both degrees are highly respected, the MSAE may carry more weight in Europe, as it is a research-based degree and the European job market tends to prioritize advanced degrees with research experience.

Ultimately, the decision between the MSAE and MAE will depend on your career goals and personal preferences. I would recommend researching the job market and speaking with professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the demand for each degree in your desired location. Whichever degree you choose, I am confident that your education at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University will prepare you for a successful career in aerospace engineering.

FAQ: Planning Ahead: Comparing MSAE & MAE Degrees

1. What is the difference between an MSAE and MAE degree?

An MSAE (Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering) degree focuses on the technical aspects of aerospace engineering, while an MAE (Master of Aerospace Engineering) degree has a broader scope and covers both technical and management aspects of the field.

2. Which degree is better for career advancement in the aerospace industry?

It depends on your career goals. If you are interested in a technical role, an MSAE degree may be more beneficial. However, if you want to move into a management position, an MAE degree may be more suitable.

3. What are the admission requirements for an MSAE or MAE degree?

The admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, both degrees require a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. Some universities may also require work experience in the aerospace industry.

4. How long does it take to complete an MSAE or MAE degree?

Typically, both degrees take 2-3 years to complete, depending on the program and whether you are enrolled full-time or part-time. Some universities may offer accelerated programs, which can be completed in a shorter amount of time.

5. Are there any specific courses that are unique to MSAE or MAE degrees?

Yes, both degrees have courses that are unique to them. MSAE degrees may have courses such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and structures, while MAE degrees may have courses in project management, systems engineering, and business fundamentals. However, there may be some overlap in courses between the two degrees.