Playing Piano: Mastering Für Elise and More

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
In summary: I forget how many times in Moscow, they decided they need to hear it again... and again... and again. They became one of my favorite pieces to play.In summary, some impressive compositions to play on a piano are the first three variations of JS Bach's "Goldberg Variations," Chopin's Nocturnes, and the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven.
Zantra said:
Hmm.. monique if you haven't mastered the quick (staccato?) piece in Fur elise I would suggest you stick with this song until you can play it all the way though at least once, if only badly, before you move on to some of the more complexed pieces being suggested.
Yeah, I started on that :smile: but I still needed a belated birthday present for on my wishlist :redface: :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Monique said:
Interesting, Beethoven's name is actually dutch: Ludwig 'van Beethoven', that means everyone is writing his name wrong.

Are you serious?

"van Beethoven" should thus be the right name ? Yet in France, we have that kind of name too : Charles de Gaulle. This is a bad example, but one should call him "Gaulle" or "Charles de Gaulle", not "de Gaulle". (with a few exceptions). The origine of this kind of name is historical : "John from South" you could say. You would either call him "South" or "John from South" but just "from South" would be incorrect.

Monique : do you know if the rule in dutch is to always keep the "van" particle ?

Monique said:
Interesting, Beethoven's name is actually dutch: Ludwig 'van Beethoven', that means everyone is writing his name wrong

We usually just say Beethoven. I've got a family dedicated to music. My grand-aunt has won the highest norwegian prizes a musician can get, and my dad is musical teacher(amanuensis) at our Music university and is responisble for all the music in the norwegian freemasonary. So I should know ;)

Descartes said:
Finally, I think a lot of Bach's Fugues are fun to play on the piano.

His Invention 8 is great, short, educative, and easy to learn.

Last edited:
humanino said:
Monique : do you know if the rule in dutch is to always keep the "van" particle ?
I don't know of any rules, but I've never heard the prefixes being dropped. But at least I'm glad the American style rules are not being followed, because then it would've been Vanbeethoven :rolleyes:

What's wrong with that, Ms. Vandervoet? :confused: