Please check my solutions -- Mass being pulled with an angled rope

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the work of force F, friction force, and normal force in a scenario where a block of mass 4 kg is pulled by a force of 100 N at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal plane, with a friction coefficient of 0.3. The displacement, friction force, and normal force are all variables that need to be determined accurately using equations involving the given values and known formulas. The friction force is calculated as f=μN, and the equation for the normal force is N-100sin60=4*9.81.
ZurraMath
A block of mass M = 4 kg is pulled by a force F = 100 N forming an angle of 60 degrees with themhorizontal plane with friction coefficient 0.3.

Determine the work of force F, friction force and normal force.

02.png

04.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

On your first solution, what are units of "S" for work? What units should Work be in?

I assume S to be the displacement?

rsk said:
I assume S to be the displacement?
Oh, thanks. I guess the displacement is indeed a variable -- I missed that.

The friction force is $$f=\mu N$$ and NOT $$f=\mu mg$$. So to correctly determine the friction force you need to find the normal force N first.
Your equation for the normal force N doesn't seem correct either (though the final result might be correct), it should be $$N-100\sin60=4\cdot 9.81$$ i.e. the force of 100N is actually forming an angle of -60 degrees with the horizontal, that is it is pointing down not up.

Related to Please check my solutions -- Mass being pulled with an angled rope

1. How do you calculate the tension in the angled rope?

The tension in the angled rope can be calculated using the formula T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass being pulled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the rope.

2. What is the significance of the angle of the rope in this scenario?

The angle of the rope affects the amount of tension required to pull the mass. As the angle increases, the tension also increases, making it more difficult to pull the mass.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-life situation where this concept is applied?

One example is when a person is pulling a heavy object using a rope attached to a truck. The angle of the rope will determine the amount of force needed to pull the object, as well as the direction in which the object will move.

4. How does the mass of the object being pulled affect the tension in the rope?

The mass of the object being pulled directly affects the tension in the rope. The heavier the object, the more tension is required to pull it at a given angle.

5. Is there a limit to the tension that can be applied to the angled rope?

Yes, there is a limit to the tension that can be applied to the angled rope. This is determined by the breaking strength of the rope, which is the maximum amount of tension the rope can withstand before breaking.