Please explain something about the standard model

In summary: To understand some of it you'd have to read at least one book on Quantum field theory (plus all the required mathematics). To fully understand the Standard Model you have several years of intensive studying ahead of you.
3m0k177y
I can't even begin to type out the entire equation for the standard model of particle physics, it is just so immensely long and I don't have the time, energy, or patience to do so. So please excuse the fact that I don't have the equation on here to show exactly what I mean.
Now, I understand most of particle physics and the relations between particles and such, and I understand a good amount of the functions used in the equation. But, I don't understand what all of the symbols and such are for the particles. I can recognize things like photons, gluons, muons, electrons, tau, nuetrinos, muon nuetrinos, tau nuetrinos, W and Z bosons, and Higgs bosons. But, as for other symbols and letters in the equation, I feel like I'm looking at another language entirely. Can someone explain the following symbols, letters and functions:
A, M, u, β, λ, ∂, m, s, c, K, j, X, (the bar over some of the letters and symbols, I don't know what that's for), ϕ, d, Y, and also I don't understand what letters and symbols mean when they are in the form of: Wu or Wk is.
That's just an example of how the form is used, but I don't understand what it really means.
Please explain this all to me, because I can't find this information anywhere.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Come to think of it, please just explain EVERYTHING about the equation...its much easier for me that way.
Thanks.

3m0k177y said:
Come to think of it, please just explain EVERYTHING about the equation...its much easier for me that way.
Thanks.
To understand some of it you'd have to read at least one book on Quantum field theory (plus all the required mathematics). To fully understand the Standard Model you have several years of intensive studying ahead of you.

Now qualitative description of individual terms of the lagrangian (which is probably what you're talking about) is very much possible, but you'll have to at least give a link to what you're talking about, because there are different ways to write the lagrangian.

Different symbols like the pitchfork represent probability things like looks like 0 with a bar through it is called "theta" and it means angle, fancy versions of letters likely mean different bosons or particles, the backwards lowercase "A" called "partial" I think represents a boundary, the big fancy versions of the letter "f" likely represents "function of" and the super and subscripts are limits. In short, you have this quantized object with virtually infinite degrees of freedom with a few nodal surfaces that occupies all possible positions simultaneously but dies down and becomes smaller as the distance increases from a certain boundary which the total probability over all of space remains "1". There's things like spin and momentum which detirmines the overall shape of the boundary from which probability decreases as you travel away from it.

Dead Boss said:
To understand some of it you'd have to read at least one book on Quantum field theory (plus all the required mathematics). To fully understand the Standard Model you have several years of intensive studying ahead of you.

Now qualitative description of individual terms of the lagrangian (which is probably what you're talking about) is very much possible, but you'll have to at least give a link to what you're talking about, because there are different ways to write the lagrangian.
I do, for the most part, understand the standard model itself. Also, I have studied quantum field theory and understand a good amount of the maths. I am talking about explaining the lagrangian, mainly because even though I can understand a little bit of the math, I get lost really easily in the equation. There are a few terms I can understand, like photon fields and fermion energy, but a lot of terms, although I can recognize, aren't used in a way I've seen before. I'll get back to you on a link to the lagrangian, I can't post that as of now for a few reasons.

Related to Please explain something about the standard model

1. What is the standard model?

The standard model is a theory in particle physics that explains the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It is the most widely accepted model for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What are the fundamental particles in the standard model?

The standard model identifies 12 fundamental particles: six quarks (up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom), six leptons (electron, electron neutrino, muon, muon neutrino, tau, and tau neutrino), and four force-carrying particles (photon, gluon, W and Z bosons). These particles make up all matter in the universe.

3. What are the four fundamental forces explained by the standard model?

The standard model explains four fundamental forces: electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and gravity. These forces govern the interactions between particles and play a crucial role in the structure and behavior of matter.

4. How does the standard model explain the behavior of particles?

The standard model explains the behavior of particles through the interactions of the fundamental forces. It uses mathematical equations to describe the strength and range of these forces, as well as the properties and behavior of the particles that make up matter.

5. What are the limitations of the standard model?

While the standard model has been incredibly successful in explaining the behavior of particles, it is not a complete theory. It does not account for gravity, which is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. Additionally, it does not explain the existence of dark matter and dark energy, which make up a large portion of the universe's mass and energy. Scientists are currently working to develop a more comprehensive theory that can incorporate these phenomena into the standard model framework.