Please explain why I keep getting the incorrect moment about O

In summary: The book answer seems to have mixed up the lever arms, as you suspected. In summary, the conversation discussed finding the moment of a 50 N force on the xy plane from point A to point B, using Varignon's theorem and a vector approach. The result differed from the book's answer, leading to a discussion about possible mistakes in the calculations. It was determined that the book's answer was incorrect due to a mix-up of lever arms.
SlothNast
Please explain why I keep getting the "incorrect" moment about O

Homework Statement

on the xy plane (in mm), there is a 50 N force that travels from point A (-15 , -20) , to point B (40 , 10). The first part of this question asks to find the moment of this force about the origin using Varignon's theorem. the second part asks to find the moment about a point C (0 , 25) using a vector approach.

Homework Equations

theta = arctan (opp / adj)

M = (F)(d)

Fx = F sin(theta) (in my case, for you you can do cosine of complementary, same thing)

Fy = F cos(theta) (again, could do sine of complentary angle if desired)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Varignons theorem, I broke the force up at point A (going up, and going right, tail to tail). Then, I found the angle between the original force and the horizontal (28.6 degrees for me). Using this, I found that Fx = 43.9 N and Fy = 23.9 N. Since Fy is 15 units left of origin, I found the moment to be (23.9 N)(15 mm) = 358.5 Nmm CW. Then, I did the same for Fx and got (43.9 N)(20 mm) = 878 Nmm CCW. Using conventional directions, I found the net moment to be 878 - 358.5 = 519.5 Nmm CCW. This seems perfectly correct to me, but for some the book claims the correct answer is found by instead doing this.

(43.9 N)(15mm) - (23.9 N)(20 mm) = 179.6

This seems wrong to me, it looks they got the torque arm lengths mixed up, please tell me this seems to be the case, as I have been pulling my hair out all day trying to see why they did what they did.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your answer appears correct, which you can check using the T= r X F vector approach. Looks like they used the wrong lever arm or messed up sin vs. cos . You actually did Fx = F cos theta, and Fy = F sin theta, where theta = 28.6 degrees, which is correct.

FAQ: Please explain why I keep getting the incorrect moment about O

1. Why do I keep getting the incorrect moment about O?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to errors in the experimental setup or measurements, incorrect calculations, or a misunderstanding of the concept of moment. It is important to carefully review all steps of the process to identify the source of the error.

2. How can I fix the problem of incorrect moment about O?

To fix the issue, it is important to carefully review the steps of the experiment and calculations. Double-check all measurements and calculations for accuracy. If the problem persists, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or a more experienced scientist for guidance.

3. Is there a specific formula or equation I should use to calculate the moment about O?

Yes, the formula for calculating the moment about a point, such as O, is force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. It is important to make sure that the units for force and distance are consistent in order to obtain an accurate result.

4. Can you provide an example of a situation where incorrect moment about O can occur?

One example could be if the force being applied is not perpendicular to the line of action, resulting in an incorrect perpendicular distance being used in the calculation. Another example could be using the incorrect units for either the force or the distance in the calculation.

5. How can I prevent getting the incorrect moment about O in the future?

To prevent getting the incorrect moment in the future, it is important to carefully review and double-check all steps of the experiment and calculations. It may also be helpful to keep a record of previous calculations and review them for consistency and accuracy. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced colleagues or consulting reliable resources can also help prevent errors in calculations.

Back