Please fix this residue integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a complex integral using the Cauchy's integral formula and the residue theorem. The final result is found to be -π/3. One of the participants initially makes a mistake in the calculation but is corrected by the other.
geft
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{5 - 4sin\theta}[/tex]
[tex]= \oint_{C} \frac{dz/iz}{5 - \frac{2z}{i} - \frac{2}{iz}}[/tex]
[tex]= - \oint_{C} \frac{dz}{2z^{2} - 5iz - 2}[/tex]
[tex]= - \oint_{C} \frac{dz}{(4z - 8i)(49 - 2i)}[/tex]
[tex]z_{1} = 2i, z_{2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]Res = \left|\frac{1}{4z - 2i} \right|_{z = 2i} = \frac{1}{6i}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow 2\pi i(\frac{1}{6i})(-1) = \frac{-\pi}{3}[/tex]

The answer is 2pi/3, but I can't seem to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi geft! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

isnt it plus 2 on the third line? :redface:

Oh man, I feel so stupid. This has been driving me crazy all day. Thanks a lot! :)

Related to Please fix this residue integration

1. What is residue integration?

Residue integration is a process used in scientific research to identify and measure the presence of specific substances or components within a larger sample or mixture. It involves separating and isolating the desired substance or component from the rest of the sample in order to analyze it further.

2. Why is it important to fix residue integration?

Fixing residue integration is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the data collected during the integration process. Any errors or issues with residue integration can lead to incorrect measurements and potentially invalidate the results of the research.

3. What are some common problems that can occur during residue integration?

Some common problems that can occur during residue integration include incomplete separation of the desired substance, contamination from other substances, and equipment malfunctions. These issues can result in inaccurate measurements and must be addressed in order to fix residue integration.

4. How can residue integration be fixed?

Residue integration can be fixed by troubleshooting the specific issue or problem that is causing the errors. This may involve adjusting equipment settings, using different separation techniques, or repeating the integration process. It is also important to regularly calibrate and maintain equipment to prevent future issues.

5. What are some ways to prevent residue integration errors?

To prevent residue integration errors, it is important to carefully follow established protocols and procedures for sample preparation and integration. Regularly calibrating and maintaining equipment is also crucial. Additionally, using multiple methods of analysis and replicating experiments can help to verify results and identify any potential errors in the integration process.