Please help construct a proof (propositional logic)

In summary: This would be trying to disprove the conclusion, rather than trying to prove it.I don't see how this follows from line 1. Line 1 implies (-A v -B), but not necessarily -A.Another approach would be to try proof by contradiction, also referred to as an indirect proof. This would be trying to disprove the conclusion, rather than trying to prove it.
lostinspace89
This is a two part question my book gives as practice problem. I, however am struggling to construct logical proofs and the book does not have a key. Thanks in Advance!

2a. Construct a proof, using any method (or rules) you want, that the following argument is valid:
Premises (3): – [A&B], – [B&C], A v C
Conclusion: – B
Be sure to explain your proof procedure.

2b. Construct a proof, using only the 10 basic (primitive) rules, that the same argument is valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your attempt or this thread will be deleted.

I do not understand the question enough to make a valid attempt as this is why I posted it in this forum...

Then you should read your textbook again or ask your instructor. We are not here to explain the theory to you. We are only here to guide you to finding a solution.

Ok, thanks for your help.

Is there anyone out there willing to help guide me to finding a solution...

lostinspace89 said:
Ok, thanks for your help.

Is there anyone out there willing to help guide me to finding a solution...

We're happy to help you, as long as you make some attempt first.

This is what I have so far. At this point I am unsure of where to go next:

-[A&B]
A
-[B&C]
A
[A v C]
A
-A
Line 1, &O
-[A v B]
Line 4, vI
-B
Line 2, &O
-[B v C]
Line 5, vI

lostinspace89 said:

-[A&B]
A
-[B&C]
A
[A v C]
A
-A
Line 1, &O
-[A v B]
Line 4, vI
-B
Line 2, &O
-[B v C]
Line 5, vI
You're tryingn to prove the negation of (A&B) ...

Last edited:
Are you asking me if I am trying to prove the negation of (A&B)? I am trying to prove the conclusion -B

lostinspace89 said:
Are you asking me if I am trying to prove the negation of (A&B)? I am trying to prove the conclusion -B
OK I didn't understand what you meant.

I am not sure that the path I have chosen is correct. I feel like the entire question can be answered with one proof if that proof were to satisfy the requirements of question 2b. It could be applied as the answer to question 2a

Thanks for showing an attempt.
lostinspace89 said:

-[A&B]
A
-[B&C]
A
[A v C]
A
-A
Line 1, &O
I don't see how this follows from line 1. Line 1 implies (-A v -B), but not necessarily -A.
-[A v B]
Line 4, vI
-B
Line 2, &O
-[B v C]
Line 5, vI

Another approach would be to try proof by contradiction, also referred to as an indirect proof.

Related to Please help construct a proof (propositional logic)

What is propositional logic?

Propositional logic is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with the relationships between propositions or statements. It involves the use of symbols to represent logical connectives such as "and", "or", and "not", and is used to analyze the validity of arguments and construct proofs.

What is a proof in propositional logic?

In propositional logic, a proof is a sequence of propositions, each of which is either a premise or derived from previous propositions using logical rules, that leads to the conclusion of an argument. Proofs are used to show that an argument is valid, meaning that its conclusion logically follows from its premises.

What are the basic rules of propositional logic?

The basic rules of propositional logic include the laws of logical equivalence, which state that certain propositions are logically equivalent and can be substituted for one another in a proof, and the rules of inference, which describe how to derive new propositions from existing ones using logical connectives.

How do you construct a proof in propositional logic?

To construct a proof in propositional logic, you must first identify the premises of the argument and the conclusion you are trying to prove. Then, you must use the basic rules of propositional logic, such as logical equivalence and rules of inference, to derive new propositions and ultimately arrive at the conclusion of the argument.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a proof in propositional logic?

Some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a proof in propositional logic include using incorrect logical rules, failing to use parentheses to clarify the order of operations, and making assumptions that are not supported by the premises. It is important to carefully check each step of the proof and ensure that it follows the rules of propositional logic.