Please help to find the equation for this hyperbola problem

• Thread starter minivan09ia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a hyperbola given a graph and some points. The person asking for help is provided with a solution by their teacher, but they want to understand how it was derived. They mention using points on the graph, including a hole, and reasoning to solve the problem. They also ask for suggestions on how the equation would change if the hyperbola was rotated 90 degrees.
minivan09ia

Homework Statement

I would really appreciate if someone can help me understand how my teacher came up with the answer for this find my equation hyperbola problem. I have enclosed a copy of the problem and the solution provided by my teacher. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 491
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Looks like you are provided with a graph of a hyperbola with some points on it, and a labelled assymptote.
(One of the points is a hole.)

In principle you should be able to just read five points off the graph to solve the conic section equation - but you are best to use points that are given to you and so avoid making an error reading the graph.

It is faster to use reason and the clues provided ... like if you know how hyperbolas factor in general, then you can pretty much plug in the values for the roots and the assymptotes and limits... whose values you can read off the graph.

I cannot tell from the pics how your teacher did it.
Have you had a go reasoning it out yourself?

The underlined (x-3) appears in the solution numerator and denominator ... there is a hole at x=3, but the inclusion in the answer cancels out.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply.

I managed to solve the problem by using the reasons and clues like you suggested. By using the zeros, vertical asymptote, and hole, I found the solution.

However, I am still wondering how the equation would change when the hyperbola opens east-west instead of north-south. Any ideas?

You mean if you rotate it 90deg about the origin?
Why not do the transform and see?

Related to Please help to find the equation for this hyperbola problem

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of curve that is formed when a plane intersects with a double cone. It has two separate branches that are asymptotic to each other.

2. What is the equation for a hyperbola?

The general equation for a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. How do you find the equation for a hyperbola?

To find the equation for a hyperbola, you need to have the coordinates of the center, the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, and the orientation of the hyperbola. Then, you can plug these values into the general equation and simplify to get the specific equation for the hyperbola.

4. What is the difference between a horizontal and a vertical hyperbola?

A horizontal hyperbola has its transverse axis (the line passing through the center and the two vertices) along the x-axis, while a vertical hyperbola has its transverse axis along the y-axis. This affects the orientation and the coefficients in the equation of the hyperbola.

5. Can there be more than one hyperbola that satisfies a given set of points?

Yes, there can be multiple hyperbolas that pass through a given set of points. This is because a hyperbola is a set of infinite points, and there are many different combinations of center, axes lengths, and orientation that can produce the same set of points.