Please recommend a textbook to prepare me for math research in econ

In summary, the speaker will be conducting independent research in mathematics of trading next semester. They are specifically looking for a text to learn about Markov Chains, Brownian motion models, mean reversion models, and models with regime switching. The response mentions the use of money to make estimated profits from portfolios proven to be profitable. The speaker also asks for suggestions on resources regarding derivatives, which were mentioned as a topic of interest for their research.
oldfold
Next semester I'll be doing some independent research in the mathematics of trading. Specifically I'm looking for a text that will teach me to grapple with Markov Chains, Brownian motion models, mean reversion models, and models with regime switching.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brownian motion like the bacterial movement observation? Might not be the answer you want with what follows except I'll tell you that if you're trying to do trading math you might chance a solution as to the trader's probability of trade actions except that's a guessing game. A reasoning for derivatives hedging is the sheer amount of capital invested into investment profiles before further trade agreements involving those derivatives ever takes place. They've got money. They use money to make estimated profit from the revenues of portfolios that are proven with statistics to be profitable. That's different than being guaranteed to be profitable.

Neuvotonian said:
Brownian motion like the bacterial movement observation? Might not be the answer you want with what follows except I'll tell you that if you're trying to do trading math you might chance a solution as to the trader's probability of trade actions except that's a guessing game. A reasoning for derivatives hedging is the sheer amount of capital invested into investment profiles before further trade agreements involving those derivatives ever takes place. They've got money. They use money to make estimated profit from the revenues of portfolios that are proven with statistics to be profitable. That's different than being guaranteed to be profitable.

I'm not quite sure what kinds of Brownian motion models I'll be using, but I think its safe to say they will have little to do with bacteria. However, the rest of your response actually seems quite relevant. My research will be directed by a faculty member and I think derivatives were mentioned as being a topic of special interest, so would you happen to know where I can find some course notes or other resources regarding your post?

FAQ: Please recommend a textbook to prepare me for math research in econ

1. What makes a good textbook for preparing for math research in econ?

A good textbook for math research in econ should have a strong foundation in both mathematics and economics. It should also be comprehensive, covering a wide range of topics and techniques used in econ research. Additionally, it should provide clear explanations and examples, as well as practice problems to reinforce understanding.

2. Are there any specific textbooks that are highly recommended for math research in econ?

While there are many textbooks available, some commonly recommended ones for math research in econ include "Mathematics for Economists" by Simon and Blume, "Advanced Microeconomic Theory" by Jehle and Reny, and "Econometric Analysis" by Greene. However, it ultimately depends on your specific research interests and needs.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand these textbooks?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is essential for understanding and applying the concepts in these textbooks. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and statistics before diving into these texts.

4. Can these textbooks be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

While these textbooks are typically used in a classroom setting, they can also be used for self-study. However, it may be more challenging to fully grasp the material without the guidance of an instructor. It is recommended to supplement self-study with additional resources and practice problems.

5. How can I determine which textbook is the best fit for my needs?

The best way to determine which textbook is the best fit for your needs is to consult with your advisor or other experts in the field. They can provide personalized recommendations based on your research interests and background. You can also read reviews and compare the content and approach of different textbooks to make an informed decision.