Please review my proof of Cauchy inequality

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem but is having difficulty. He is looking for help from his professor, and the professor seems to be trying to review the student's proof. The student has difficulty with the induction step, and the professor points out that he has not used the induction assumption. The student then resorts to a circular argument. The professor points out that the lack of a proof of the base case is a giveaway, and the student fails to provide a proof for the base case.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

I'm actually only concerned here with proving equality. I would like some review of my proof before I crawl back to my professor again with what I think is a valid proof.

The Attempt at a Solution

Show:
[tex] \frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_n}{n}=\sqrt[n]{x_1x_2\cdots x_n} \Leftrightarrow x_1=x_2=\dots=x_n [/tex]

Given:
[tex] \frac{x_1+x_2}{2}=\sqrt{x_1x_2} \Leftrightarrow x_1=x_2 [/tex]

Assume it is true for [itex] n=k [/itex]
That is, assume:

[tex] \frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_k}{k}=\sqrt[k]{x_1x_2\cdots x_k} \Leftrightarrow x_1=x_2=\dots=x_k [/tex]

for [itex] n=k+1 [/itex] we have:
[tex] \frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_k+x_{k+1}}{k+1}=\sqrt[k+1]{x_1x_2\cdots x_kx_{k+1}} [/tex]
Because of the assumption for [itex]k[/itex], we can write:
[tex] \frac{kx_k+x_{k+1}}{k+1}=\sqrt[k+1]{x_k^kx_{k+1}} [/tex]
let [itex] x_k-x_{k+1}=\delta [/itex]
now we can replace [itex]x_k[/itex] by [itex] (x_{k+1}+\delta) [/itex] on one side and [itex] x_{k+1} [/itex] by [itex] (x_k-\delta) [/itex] on the other:
[tex] \frac{kx_k+x_k-\delta}{k+1}=\sqrt[k+1]{(x_{k+1}+\delta)^kx_{k+1}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} \frac{kx_k+x_k-\delta}{k+1}=\lim_{\delta \rightarrow 0} \sqrt[k+1]{(x_{k+1}+\delta)^kx_{k+1}} [/tex]
[tex]
\frac{(k+1)x_k}{k+1}=\sqrt[k+1]{(x_{k+1})^kx_{k+1}}
[/tex]
[tex] x_k=x_{k+1} [/tex]
Thus, equality holds iff [itex] x_1=x_2=\dots =x_n=x_{n+1} [/itex]
By the Principle of Mathematical Induction, the proof is over.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ArcanaNoir! :smile:

I guess I can poke a couple of holes in it if you want me to.

When you take the limit of delta to 0, what you're actually saying is that delta is 0.
But that is what you have to prove!
So you've set up a circular proof.

Btw, the fact that you didn't use the inductive step is a dead give away.

Furthermore you did not proof the base case, but just assumed it was given.

I like Serena said:
When you take the limit of delta to 0, what you're actually saying is that delta is 0.
But that is what you have to prove!
So you've set up a circular proof.
Oh bother, I see what you mean.

Btw, the fact that you didn't use the inductive step is a dead give away.
what do you mean here?

Furthermore you did not proof the base case, but just assumed it was given.
I've proven the base case a hundred times this week. I suppose I should prove it the same way I prove the k+1 case though, right? Right.

Thanks for pointing out the circular logic! :)

ArcanaNoir said:
what do you mean here?

The inductive step contains a k-root that you assume, and which you would have to use to proof the expression with the (k+1)-root.
That's what full induction is about.
As it is you don't use the k-root.

*sigh* another epic fail. Cauchy=4 me=0.5

I'm afraid I have another hole for you, if you're still interested.

You use the induction assumption for the k-case to conclude that the xi are equal, and then you substitute that in the (k+1) case. But you can't do that, because you don't know that the xi in the (k+1) case are the same as in the k-case.
Sorry.

Yeah, I reverted back to my other proof already. This one's pointless. I should have known it was nonsense when it came out all concise and visually appealing.

Related to Please review my proof of Cauchy inequality

1. What is Cauchy's inequality?

Cauchy's inequality is a mathematical concept that states that for any two sequences of numbers, the sum of the products of their corresponding elements is always less than or equal to the product of their sums. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

2. What is the importance of Cauchy's inequality?

Cauchy's inequality is important in various areas of mathematics, including analysis, number theory, and probability. It is used in many proofs and has applications in optimization problems, statistical mechanics, and signal processing.

3. How is Cauchy's inequality proven?

There are several ways to prove Cauchy's inequality, but one of the most common methods is through the use of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

4. Can Cauchy's inequality be extended to more than two sequences?

Yes, Cauchy's inequality can be extended to any finite number of sequences. This is known as the generalized Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

5. What are some applications of Cauchy's inequality?

Cauchy's inequality has applications in various fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. It is used in the study of differential equations, optimization problems, and probability theory. It is also utilized in the proof of other important mathematical theorems, such as the triangle inequality.