Please verify my solution to this calc problem

• Thread starter dnylander
  • Start date
In summary, there are a few ways to verify the correctness of a solution to a calculus problem, such as using an online calculator or working backwards. If the solution is incorrect, it is important to identify and correct any mistakes, and seeking help is recommended. To improve problem-solving skills, regular practice and seeking help are key. The use of calculators depends on the problem and instructions, and using different methods is acceptable as long as the solution is correct and explained clearly.
dnylander
whitch of agnesi problem) its a curve defined as follows. let O be the origin, let T be the point (0,1), and let m be the line through T parallel to the x-axis. Let C be the circle centered at (0,0.5) with radius 0.5. For any point P on the circle besides O and T, we draw a ray from O through P. let this ray intersex m at point X. we then draw the altitude from X to the line through P parallel to the x-axis. The foot of this altitude, point A, is on the witch curve. When we trace out the resulting points A for all possible P, and include point T, we get the witch curve. Find the Parameterization for it and a function f such that the witch curve is the graph of the function y = f(x)

My answer:
a= radius
x= 2acos(t)
y= a[1-cos 2(t)]
y= 8a^3/x^2+4a^2

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! The curve you are referring to is called the "Witch of Agnesi" curve, and it is a very interesting mathematical concept. The parameterization you have provided is correct, but there are a few things I would like to clarify.

First, the parameter "a" in your equations should actually be "r", which represents the radius of the circle. This is because the circle in this problem is centered at (0, 0.5) with a radius of 0.5, so the value "a" in your equations would actually be 0.5.

Second, the function you have provided is not the correct one for the curve. The correct function for the Witch of Agnesi curve is y = 2ar^2/(x^2+r^2). This function is derived from the parameterization you provided, but it takes into account the fact that the radius of the circle is not fixed at 0.5, but can vary.

So, in summary, the correct parameterization for the Witch of Agnesi curve is:
x = 2arctan(t)
y = 2ar^2/(1+t^2)

And the correct function for the curve is:
y = 2ar^2/(x^2 + r^2)

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and thank you for your contribution to the forum!

Related to Please verify my solution to this calc problem

1. How do I know if my solution to a calculus problem is correct?

There are a few ways to verify the correctness of your solution. First, you can check your answer using an online calculator or software. Additionally, you can work backwards and plug your solution back into the original problem to see if it satisfies the conditions. Finally, you can compare your solution to the solutions provided by your textbook or professor.

2. What should I do if my solution to a calculus problem is incorrect?

If you believe that your solution is incorrect, you should try to identify where you made a mistake. Go through your solution step by step and check for any errors in calculations or algebraic manipulations. If you are still unsure, seek help from a tutor or your professor to go over the problem with you.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in calculus?

To improve your problem-solving skills in calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. Make sure to thoroughly understand the concepts and formulas used in calculus, and try to solve a variety of problems to challenge yourself. You can also join study groups or work with a tutor to get different perspectives and approaches to solving problems.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve calculus problems?

It depends on the problem and the instructions given. In some cases, calculators may be allowed or required to solve a calculus problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the problem and not rely solely on a calculator. Make sure to follow the instructions given by your professor or textbook.

5. Is it okay to use different methods to solve a calculus problem?

Yes, it is okay to use different methods to solve a calculus problem as long as your solution is correct and follows the instructions given. In fact, using different methods can help you better understand the problem and the concepts involved. However, make sure to show your work and explain your thought process to receive full credit for your solution.