Plot 3D in Mathematica: Getting Coordinates for Points

In summary, to input data points for a 3D plot in Mathematica, you can use the "ListPlot3D" function with a list of data points. To label the axes and add a title to your plot, you can use the "AxesLabel" and "PlotLabel" options. Additionally, you can change the color and style of your plot using the "ColorFunction" and "PlotStyle" options. To get the coordinates for specific points, you can use the "MeshFunctions" and "Mesh" options or the "Tooltip" function. Finally, you can export your 3D plot as an image or file using the "Export" function.
gaby287
I have a 3D Plot in Mathematica and I would like to get coordinates for points (all points) that were plotted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reap[
Print[Plot3D[x^2 y + y^2 x + 2, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, EvaluationMonitor :> Sow[{x, y, x^2 y + y^2 x + 2}]]]
][[2, 1]]

Note, despite it not being particularly that there is a : followed by > in that.

Related to Plot 3D in Mathematica: Getting Coordinates for Points

1. How do I input data points for a 3D plot in Mathematica?

To input data points for a 3D plot in Mathematica, you can use the "ListPlot3D" function. This function takes a list of data points in the form of {{x1,y1,z1},{x2,y2,z2},...} and plots them in a 3D coordinate system. You can also use the "Plot3D" function, which takes a mathematical function as input and plots it in 3D.

2. How can I label the axes and add a title to my 3D plot in Mathematica?

To label the axes in your 3D plot, you can use the "AxesLabel" option in the "ListPlot3D" or "Plot3D" functions. This option takes a list of strings in the form of {"x label", "y label", "z label"} and adds labels to the corresponding axes. To add a title to your plot, you can use the "PlotLabel" option, which takes a string and adds it as the title of your plot.

3. Can I change the color and style of my 3D plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can change the color and style of your 3D plot in Mathematica by using the "ColorFunction" and "PlotStyle" options. The "ColorFunction" option allows you to specify a function that determines the color of each point in your plot based on its value. The "PlotStyle" option allows you to specify the style of your plot, such as the type of lines or markers used for the data points.

4. How do I get the coordinates for specific points in my 3D plot in Mathematica?

To get the coordinates for specific points in your 3D plot, you can use the "MeshFunctions" and "Mesh" options. The "MeshFunctions" option allows you to specify a function that determines which points to highlight on your plot. The "Mesh" option allows you to specify the coordinates for these points. Alternatively, you can use the "Tooltip" function to display the coordinates for a point when you hover over it with your cursor.

5. Can I export my 3D plot from Mathematica as an image or a file?

Yes, you can export your 3D plot from Mathematica as an image or a file by using the "Export" function. This function takes the plot as its first argument and the desired file format as its second argument. You can also specify the size and resolution of the exported image using additional options, such as "ImageSize" and "ImageResolution".