?Plot a deformed shape given the displacements

• Thread starter TheFerruccio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of plotting a deformed shape using given displacement equations. The person is unsure of how to approach the problem, but suggests using a mapping from ##\mathbb{R^2}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^2}## and fixing one direction to plot a line. However, they are still struggling with the challenge of handling arbitrary constants in the equations. They ask for assistance and advice on how to approach the problem.
TheFerruccio
Plot a deformed shape given the displacements

Preliminary statement: This class has a different convention.

Instead of writing x and y, ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the variables in their respective orthogonal directions.

I need to plot how shapes deform, so I am given an equation for the deformation in the ##x_1## direction, and the deformation in the ##x_2## direction, denoted ##u_1## and ##u_2##, respectively.

Problem Statement

Plot how a rectangle with sides a (horizontal) and b (vertical) deforms under the following deformation equations:
##u_1=k({x_1}^2+{x_2}^2)##
##u_2=k(2x_1+x_2)##

Attempt at Solution

As far as I can tell, I have never had to plot something quite like this. The closest I can relate to this is implicit functions and parametric functions. I know that the displacement is simply the original location ##x_i## plus the displacement ##u_i##

Thus, I can turn the displacement function into a function for the "final value" as such, denoting ##y_1## and ##y_2## as the final locations in the ##x_1## and ##x_2## directions, respectively.

##y_1=x_1+k({x_1}^2+{x_2}^2)##
##y_2=k(2x_1+x_2)+x_2##

I know what this is doing. These two equations combine to create a mapping from ##\mathbb{R^2}\rightarrow\mathbb{R^2}##. I can fix one of the directions to plot a line. In this case, I can take the ##x_1## and ##x_2## coordinates and plot a deformed line from an original line by holding one of my input variables constant, such as defining ##x_2=0## to see how a horizontal line located at ##x_2=0## gets deformed.

This would reduce the equations to:

##y_1=x_1+k({x_1}^2)##
##y_2=k(2x_1)##
Unfortunately, I still have no idea how I would go about doing this considering a and b are left arbitrary. I need some assistance to spark my brain and push me in the right direction with this. Wolfram Alpha has a parametric plotter, but it has no built-in functions to handle constants, and just assumes that everything is a variable. Does anyone know how I can approach this problem in an intuitive manner? My attempts to tackle it have just been failing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
4char

Last edited:

Related to ?Plot a deformed shape given the displacements

1. How do I plot a deformed shape using given displacements?

In order to plot a deformed shape, you will need to first gather the necessary displacement data for each point on the shape. This can be done through measurements or calculations. Once you have the displacements, you can plot them on a graph or use a computer program to visualize the shape.

2. What information do I need to plot a deformed shape?

To accurately plot a deformed shape, you will need the original shape's dimensions or coordinates, as well as the displacements for each point on the shape. Additionally, knowledge of the materials and forces acting on the shape may also be helpful in understanding the deformation.

3. Can I use a computer program to plot the deformed shape?

Yes, there are various computer programs available that can help you plot a deformed shape using given displacements. These programs use mathematical algorithms to accurately visualize the shape based on the displacement data provided.

4. Is it necessary to have precise displacement data in order to plot a deformed shape?

While having precise displacement data will result in a more accurate representation of the deformed shape, it is not always necessary. Depending on the level of precision required for the project, approximate displacement data may also be used to plot the deformed shape.

5. Can the deformed shape be plotted in 3D?

Yes, the deformed shape can be plotted in 3D using the same methods as a 2D plot. However, it may require additional software or tools to accurately visualize the shape in three dimensions.