Plot both sets and I want to highlight the intersection of A and B.

In summary: You can use ContourPlot3D in Mathematica to generate the 3D plot of A and B. You will need to simultaneously solve A and B and then probably use ParametricPlot3D to plot it with some sort of plot style that will make it visible and then Show it together with the ContourPlot3D.
parton
I've two problems:

Given are the two sets
[tex] A = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}) \in \mathbb{R}^{4} \mid x_{0}^{2} = \vec{x} \, ^{2}, x_{0} \geq 0 \right \rbrace [/tex]
and
[tex] B = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}) \in \mathbb{R}^{4} \mid (k_{0} - x_{0})^{2} = (\vec{k} - \vec{x})^{2}, x_{0} \leq k_{0} \right \rbrace [/tex]

where [tex] \vec{x} = (x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}) [/tex]

and [tex] k = (k_{0}, k_{1}, k_{2}, k_{3}) [/tex] should be an arbitrary point (i.e. free of choice, but fix) with [tex] k_{0} > 0 [/tex]. For example: [tex] k = (k_{0}, 0, 0, 0) [/tex]

Now I want to plot both sets and I want to highlight the intersection of A and B.

How do I do that? Has someone any idea? I've some basics in Maple and Mathematica, but plotting is not one my strengths.

Physics news on Phys.org

How do you plan to display a four-dimensional set on a two-dimensional monitor? Once you have that figured out then programming it should be straightforward, but I have no idea how you plan to do that.

I'm sorry, I did a mistake. I need a 3-dimensional plot of the two sets

[tex] A = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} \mid x_{0}^{2} = \vec{x} \, ^{2}, x_{0} \geq 0 \right \rbrace [/tex]
and
[tex] B = \left \lbrace (x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} \mid (k_{0} - x_{0})^{2} = (\vec{k} - \vec{x})^{2}, x_{0} \leq k_{0} \right \rbrace [/tex]

where [tex]: \vec{x} = (x_{1}, x_{2}) [/tex]

and I want to highlight their intersection somehow.

You can directly use ContourPlot3D in Mathematica to generate the 3D plot of A and B. I don't know about any way to highlight a region directly. I would guess that you will need to simultaneously solve A and B and then probably use ParametricPlot3D to plot it with some sort of plot style that will make it visible and then Show it together with the ContourPlot3D.

Btw, A and B are cones, so I would assume that their intersections will be conic sections like ellipses etc.

Thanks, for you help.

But I have another question neglecting both sets defined above. How can I plot something like this:

http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/gifs/glcaus1.gif"

In my case both cones should overlap (so we have to shift one of the cones) and I'd like to highlight the intersection of both. Is that possible and how?

Last edited by a moderator:

That is the same as the first question. The sets A and B are cones.

Related to Plot both sets and I want to highlight the intersection of A and B.

1. What does it mean to plot both sets?

Plotting both sets refers to graphically representing two different data sets on the same graph or plot. This allows for easy comparison and analysis of the data.

2. How do I plot both sets?

To plot both sets, you will need to have the data for both sets and a software or tool that allows for graphing or plotting. You can then input the data for each set and choose the appropriate type of graph or plot to display the data.

3. What does it mean to highlight the intersection of A and B?

Highlighting the intersection of A and B means identifying and visually emphasizing the points or values where the two sets overlap or intersect on the graph. This can be done by using a different color or shape for the data points at the intersection.

4. Why is it important to highlight the intersection of A and B?

Highlighting the intersection of A and B allows for easier comparison and analysis of the two data sets. It also helps to identify any patterns or relationships between the two sets that may not be apparent when looking at them separately.

5. Can I plot more than two sets and highlight their intersection?

Yes, it is possible to plot and compare multiple sets on the same graph and highlight their intersections. However, as the number of sets increases, it may become more difficult to interpret and analyze the data effectively.