Plot Negative Axis Upward in Origin - Q&A

In summary, to plot a negative axis upward in Origin, use the "Axis Dialog" and change the "Direction" to "Up" under the "Scale" tab. This can be useful for visually comparing negative and positive values. Multiple negative axes can be plotted using the "Axes" dialog. However, there are limitations such as different display for labels and tick marks and unsuitability for certain graph types. To change the appearance of the negative axis, use the "Format Axis" dialog to adjust tick marks, labels, color, and font.
LostAsteroid
Not sure if this is the right place to post it. Does anyone know how to plot negative axis upwards on Origin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I figured it out myself. It's actually quite easy. Go to the "scale" tab and set "From" value to a positive or zero, and "to" value to a negative number.

Related to Plot Negative Axis Upward in Origin - Q&A

1. How can I plot a negative axis upward in Origin?

In order to plot a negative axis upward in Origin, you will need to use the "Axis Dialog" to adjust the settings for the Y-axis. Under the "Scale" tab, change the "Direction" from "Down" to "Up". This will flip the Y-axis so that negative values are displayed towards the top of the graph.

2. Why would I want to plot a negative axis upward in Origin?

Plotting a negative axis upward in Origin can be useful when you have data that includes negative values and you want to visually compare them with positive values. This can help to highlight any patterns or relationships between the two sets of values.

3. Can I plot multiple negative axes upward in Origin?

Yes, you can plot multiple negative axes upward in Origin. To do this, you will need to use the "Axes" dialog and select the "New Axis" button to add additional axes. Then, use the "Scale" tab to adjust the direction of each axis as desired.

4. Are there any limitations to plotting a negative axis upward in Origin?

While plotting a negative axis upward in Origin can be useful, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the labels and tick marks for the axis may not be displayed in the same way as they would be for a traditional downward axis. Additionally, some graph types may not be suitable for this type of axis orientation.

5. How do I change the appearance of the negative axis in Origin?

You can change the appearance of the negative axis in Origin by using the "Format Axis" dialog. Under the "Ticks" tab, you can adjust the position, style, and spacing of the tick marks. You can also change the color and font of the axis labels under the "Labels" tab.