Plot Slope Fields in Matlab | Mathematica vs. Matlab

In summary, the conversation is about plotting slope fields with Matlab and the suggestion to use Mathematica instead for this type of task.
neg_ion13
Does anyone know how to plot slope fields with Matlab? The only things I can find require creating unit vectors and plotting them along level curves. Is their a more direct way? Also, what program do you think is better for straight forward math operation like this, Mathematica or Matlab?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you not going to share your MATLAB code with us? :wink:

At least you know how to do it. I don't.

Sorry, I only know about Mathematica, but since you asked I recommend it highly for this sort of thing:

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin7/content/VectorAndFieldVisualization/

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Plot Slope Fields in Matlab | Mathematica vs. Matlab

1. What is a slope field?

A slope field, also known as a direction field, is a graphical representation of the slope (or direction) of a differential equation at different points on a grid. It is created by plotting small line segments with slopes equal to the value of the derivative at each point.

2. How do I plot a slope field in Matlab?

In Matlab, you can plot a slope field by using the "quiver" function. This function takes in the x and y coordinates of the points on the grid, as well as the corresponding slopes (or derivatives) at each point, and plots arrows representing the direction and magnitude of the slope at each point.

3. How does Mathematica differ from Matlab in plotting slope fields?

While both Matlab and Mathematica can plot slope fields, they use different functions to do so. While Matlab uses the "quiver" function, Mathematica uses the "StreamPlot" function. Additionally, Mathematica allows for more customization in terms of the appearance of the slope field.

4. Can I plot multiple slope fields on the same graph?

Yes, both Matlab and Mathematica allow for multiple slope fields to be plotted on the same graph. This can be done by using the "hold on" command in Matlab or by using the "Show" function in Mathematica.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting slope fields in Matlab or Mathematica?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider when plotting slope fields in Matlab or Mathematica. These include the size of the grid (which can affect the accuracy of the slope field), the complexity of the differential equation (which may require a larger grid), and the ability to customize the appearance of the slope field (which may be more limited in one program compared to the other).