Ploting a graph of kinetic energy of mass

In summary, a horizontal force of 80N acts on a mass of 6Kg, causing it to accelerate at a constant rate of 11.814 m/s^2. Assuming no energy losses, the mass covers a distance of 5m in 0.92s and reaches a final velocity of 11.8 m/s. The kinetic energy of the mass can be plotted against time and distance using these values. To calculate the KE at a specific time, use the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where v=at. To calculate the KE at a specific distance, use the same formula but with v=11.8 m/s.
JavaJoeUK2011
A horizontal force of 80N acts on a mass of 6Kg resting on a horizontal surface. The mass is initially at rest and covers a distance of 5m in 0.92s under the action of the force. Assuming there are no energy losses due to air resistance and therefore that the acceleration is constant.

1.Plot a graph of the kinetic energy of the mass against time.

d = (1/2)at2 = (1/2)(11.81474m/s2)(0.92s)2 = 5m

v= 11.814 m/s2

KE = 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 x 6 x 11.814^2 = 418.117

So x-axis would be KE of Mass 0 to 418.177 and y-axis would be time 0 to .092

2.Plot a graph of the kinetic energy of the mass against distance.

So x-axis would be KE of Mass 0 to 418.177 and y-axis would be Distance 0 to .5

Have i done this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JavaJoeUK2011! :smile:

You need to find the KE as a function of t. :wink:

looks like I am doing a similar assignment.
I have plotted the graph of KE against time and the the KE figure has changed with the value V being altered at each point depending on T.
So at 0.92, KE =1/2mv^2
with v=at = 11.8 x 0.92=10.8
so KE=0.5 x 6 x 10.8 =349.92

Is this correct?
If so how do I figure in the changes in distance?

I would just like to know what calculation you use for you to get 11.8 m/s squared?
Im struggling to calculate a single Velocity knowing that the mass is accelerating?

Yes, your calculations and graph are correct. The kinetic energy of the mass increases as it covers a greater distance, reaching its maximum value at 5m, and then remains constant as the mass continues to move at a constant velocity. This graph illustrates the relationship between kinetic energy and distance, showing that as the distance increases, so does the kinetic energy.

FAQ: Ploting a graph of kinetic energy of mass

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How do I plot a graph of kinetic energy versus mass?

To plot a graph of kinetic energy versus mass, you will need to have a set of data points that include the mass and corresponding kinetic energy values. Then, you can plot these points on a graph, with mass on the x-axis and kinetic energy on the y-axis. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to create the graph for you.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and mass?

The relationship between kinetic energy and mass is directly proportional. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its kinetic energy will also increase, as long as the velocity remains constant.

4. How does the velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The velocity of an object has a direct impact on its kinetic energy. As the velocity increases, the kinetic energy will also increase, since it is a component of the kinetic energy formula. This means that a higher velocity will result in a higher kinetic energy, and vice versa.

5. Can kinetic energy ever be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, since it represents the energy an object has due to its motion. If an object is not moving, it will have zero kinetic energy.

Back