Plotting a Radial Probability Function

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting the radial probability function for a hydrogen atom. The function has been provided and when plotted, the y-values are larger than they should be. The source of confusion is the units used for the y-axis, which represents a probability distribution that is dimensionless. To reproduce the desired plot, the function must be multiplied by the Bohr radius and divided by dr to get a dimensionless expression. The wave function and probability density are in atomic units, and the y-axis of the first curve should be labelled psi/ao-3/2, while the y-axis of the second curve should be labelled P/ao-3. Ultimately, the goal is to plot a probability distribution, which is why they multiplied the
Jimmy25
I'm trying to plot the radial probability function for a hydrogen atom.

I have the function itself (Psi2*4*pi*r2) my problem is that when I plot the function with angstroms on the x-axis, the y-values are larger than they should be (they look about right if I divide them by the bohr radius in angstroms).

Here's what it should look like when plotted:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydr.html

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the abscissa. It is in dimensionless units of r/a0.

I still am not seeing why I would have to multiply the y-axis by ao nor do I understand what the form of the numbers on the y-axis take (I have looked at several resources, they all give different descriptions of the y-axis).

I assume you wish to reproduce the hyperphysics plot, not others. Look at the y-axis. It represents a probability distribution that is dimensionless. dP is dimensionless, but dP/dr is not. Starting from the expression for dP, you multiply by the Bohr radius and divide by dr to get a dimensionless expression. Whatever is left on the right hand side is what you plot as the probability distribution.

Okay, now I can see how they got there.

However, I still am very confused about the units in all these functions. I suppose the source of my confusion is at the wave function itself. When I plot the wave function for a 1s hydrogen orbital does it have any associated units? What about psi squared?

The wave function does not have the same dimensions as the probability distribution. The probability distribution is dimensionless; the wave function has dimensions such that (in 3-d) ψ*ψdV is dimensionless. Maybe that's what is confusing you.

I've been trying to make sense of these curves (attached).

Fig 3-4 is the wave function and probability density. Fig 3-5 is the probability distribution.

I don't understand what units they are using on the y-axis. The probability density must be in P/ao3. I don't understand what they're using in the wave function or distribution curve.

I've been working on this for several hours and am pulling my hair out because it seems like it should be simple but I just don't get it.

Source: http://www.chemistry.mcmaster.ca/esam/Chapter_3/section_2.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-10 at 9.53.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-10 at 9.53.47 AM.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 465
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-10 at 9.53.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-10 at 9.53.55 AM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 467
Look at the first plot showing the ground state wave function. The caption says that the function is in atomic units. This means that in the equation [itex]\psi(r)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi} a^{3/2}_{0}}e^{-r/a_0}[/itex] you must set a0=1. Do that and evaluate the function at r = 0. Does what you get match what you see plotted for the value of the wave function? Square that. Do you get the value that the probability plot shows for r = 0?

So, the y-axis of the first curve should really be labelled psi/ao-3/2, and the y-axis of the second curve should really be labelled P/ao-3. Correct?

Jimmy25 said:
So, the y-axis of the first curve should really be labelled psi/ao-3/2, and the y-axis of the second curve should really be labelled P/ao-3. Correct?
Either that or say what they say, that the wave function is in atomic units.

Okay, I think I got that part.

But back to my original question. You said:

kuruman said:
dP is dimensionless, but dP/dr is not. Starting from the expression for dP, you multiply by the Bohr radius and divide by dr to get a dimensionless expression.

I see how they got to their solution but I'm a bit confused as to why they multiplied by ao. When I integrate the function that has not been multiplied by ao from zero to infinity I get 1. However, when I integrate the function that has been multiplied by the bohr radius I get the bohr radius. Why don't they just leave it and plot dp/dr?

Because they want to plot a probability distribution and probability distributions are dimensionless. dP/dr has dimensions of L-1; multiplying it by a0 makes it dimensionless.

Related to Plotting a Radial Probability Function

What is a radial probability function?

A radial probability function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding an electron at a specific distance from the nucleus in an atom. It is used to describe the distribution of electrons in an atom and is based on the principles of quantum mechanics.

How is a radial probability function plotted?

A radial probability function is typically plotted on a graph with distance from the nucleus on the x-axis and probability on the y-axis. The function is calculated using the Schrödinger equation and can vary depending on the quantum numbers of the electron.

What does the shape of a radial probability function tell us?

The shape of a radial probability function can tell us about the likelihood of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus. A higher probability value at a certain distance indicates a greater chance of finding an electron at that distance.

What is the significance of the peaks in a radial probability function?

The peaks in a radial probability function represent the most probable locations of an electron in an atom. These locations are determined by the quantum numbers of the electron and can change depending on the energy level and orbital of the electron.

How is a radial probability function used in chemistry?

A radial probability function is used in chemistry to understand the distribution of electrons in an atom, which can affect the chemical and physical properties of an element. It is also used in calculating atomic radii and predicting the behavior of electrons in chemical reactions.