Plotting Derivatives: x''(t) & x'(t) 0-3

In summary: Hi jayeffarr! :smile:… when I graph these plots should I treat points 0 and 3 on the t-axis as discontinuities, and just put a point of where they're at and not include them when connecting the non-zero points, or should I connect all the points together, despite the discontinuity?Personally, I'd leave them disconnected …x'(t) is the area under the graph of x''(t).The problem statement.Suppose x''(t) = 1 for 1\leq(t)\leq2, and x''(t) = 0 for all other (t)(a) Plot x
jayeffarr
The problem statement.

Suppose x''(t) = 1 for [tex]1\leq(t)\leq2[/tex], and x''(t) = 0 for all other (t)

(a) Plot x''(t) for [tex]0\leq(t)\leq3[/tex]
(b) Plot x'(t) for [tex]0\leq(t)\leq3[/tex]. Assume x'(0) = 0
(c) Plot x(t) for [tex]0\leq(t)\leq3[/tex]. Assume x(0) = 0The attempt at a solution

I assumed 'x' being the vertical axis and 't' being the horizontal axis.

For (a) I know that there are going to be two points at 1 and two points at 0.

My main question is when I graph these plots should I treat points 0 and 3 on the t-axis as discontinuities, and just put a point of where they're at and not include them when connecting the non-zero points, or should I connect all the points together, despite the discontinuity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jayeffarr! :smile:

(have a ≤ :wink:)
jayeffarr said:
… when I graph these plots should I treat points 0 and 3 on the t-axis as discontinuities, and just put a point of where they're at and not include them when connecting the non-zero points, or should I connect all the points together, despite the discontinuity?

Personally, I'd leave them disconnected …

x''(t) has only one value for each t, so why pretend it has more? :wink:

Would you say to do the same thing when it comes to plotting x' and x...

Since x'(t) = t

and the plot will be (0,0), (1,1), (2,2), (3,0).

And x(t) = (1/2)t²

and the plot will be (0,0), (1,0.5), (2,2), (3,0).

...and just draw a line between 1 & 2, while having solid circles and 1 & 3?

Or are you saying just to plot the points without connecting ANY of them?

Last edited:
Not following you :redface:

x'(t) is the area under the graph of x''(t).​

jayeffarr said:
The problem statement.

Suppose x''(t) = 1 for [tex]1\leq(t)\leq2[/tex], and x''(t) = 0 for all other (t)

(a) Plot x''(t) for [tex]0\leq(t)\leq3[/tex]
(b) Plot x'(t) for [tex]0\leq(t)\leq3[/tex]. Assume x'(0) = 0
(c) Plot x(t) for [tex]0\leq(t)\leq3[/tex]. Assume x(0) = 0

The attempt at a solution

I assumed 'x' being the vertical axis and 't' being the horizontal axis.

For (a) I know that there are going to be two points at 1 and two points at 0.
I don't know what you mean by "two points". The graph is the horizontal straight line at y= 1 between 1 and 2, the horizontal straight line at y= 0, the x-axis, for all other t.

My main question is when I graph these plots should I treat points 0 and 3 on the t-axis as discontinuities, and just put a point of where they're at and not include them when connecting the non-zero points, or should I connect all the points together, despite the discontinuity?
"at 3 on the t-xis"? x"(3)= 0 and is 0 for every point near t= 3. Did you mean t= 2? In any case, it really doesn't matter. Technically, the vertical line is not part of the graph but if you can notice that this forms a rectangle under the graph, that will help.

FAQ: Plotting Derivatives: x''(t) & x'(t) 0-3

What is the difference between x''(t) and x'(t)?

The notation x''(t) represents the second derivative of the function x with respect to time, while x'(t) represents the first derivative. This means that x''(t) measures the rate of change of the rate of change of x with respect to time, while x'(t) measures the rate of change of x with respect to time.

How do I plot x''(t) and x'(t) on a graph?

To plot x''(t) and x'(t) on a graph, you will need to use a graphing calculator or software. First, enter the function x(t) into the calculator or software. Then, use the "derivatives" function to find the first and second derivatives. Finally, plot each derivative on the same graph using different colors or symbols to represent each one.

What information can I learn from plotting x''(t) and x'(t)?

Plotting x''(t) and x'(t) can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function x(t). The first derivative, x'(t), can tell you about the slope of the function at a specific point, while the second derivative, x''(t), can tell you about the concavity of the function. This can help you identify critical points, inflection points, and determine the overall shape of the function.

Can I use x''(t) and x'(t) to find the maximum and minimum values of a function?

Yes, the first and second derivatives can be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function. The first derivative, x'(t), will be equal to 0 at the maximum or minimum points, while the second derivative, x''(t), can be used to determine if the point is a maximum or minimum based on its concavity.

What are some real-life applications of plotting derivatives?

Plotting derivatives has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, in physics, plotting the velocity and acceleration of an object over time can help in predicting its future motion. In economics, plotting the marginal cost and marginal revenue of a product can assist in determining the optimal production level. In biology, plotting the growth rate and carrying capacity of a population can aid in understanding population dynamics.

Back