Plotting Firm's Profits: Verifying the Relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the monthly profits of a firm for the first few months of business, which are modeled by the formula y = k x 10^{ax}, where a and k are constants. The speaker is seeking help in plotting this data on semi-log paper to verify the relationship. They are referred to a resource for guidance and mention having another question to ask.
maali5

Homework Statement

The table gives a firm’s monthly profits for their first few months of business. The numbers are rounded to the nearest £100.

Number of months after start up (x) 1 2 3 4 5 6
Profit for this month (£y) 500 800 1200 1900 3000 4800

The firm’s profits, £y, for the xth month after start up are modeled by

y = k x 10ax

where a and k are constants.

Plot this data on semi log paper to verify if this relationship is true.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

That's why am asking for help. I do not know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
maali5 said:

Homework Statement

The table gives a firm’s monthly profits for their first few months of business. The numbers are rounded to the nearest £100.

Number of months after start up (x) 1 2 3 4 5 6
Profit for this month (£y) 500 800 1200 1900 3000 4800

The firm’s profits, £y, for the xth month after start up are modeled by

y = k x 10ax

where a and k are constants.
It's not clear what you mean here. Did you mean ##y=10akx^2## or ##y=k 10^{ax}## or ##y=k x 10^{ax}## or something else altogether?

Plot this data on semi log paper to verify if this relationship is true.
This is a good place to start.

vela said:
It's not clear what you mean here. Did you mean ##y=10akx^2## or ##y=k 10^{ax}## or ##y=k x 10^{ax}## or something else altogether?

This is a good place to start.

Sorry, I meant y=k x 10^{ax} and how should I start on drawing semi-log pap

maali5 said:
Sorry, I meant y=k x 10^{ax} and how should I start on drawing semi-log pap
Is that x supposed to be the variable x or a multiplication sign?

vela said:
Is that x supposed to be the variable x or a multiplication sign?

multiplication

maali5 said:
how should I start on drawing semi-log pap
Check this out:

http://www.math.neu.edu/fries/semilog-ex-hwk.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
vela said:
Check this out:

http://www.math.neu.edu/fries/semilog-ex-hwk.pdf

Thanks very much.

I have one more questions to ask that I'm stuck with. I'll post it later

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Plotting Firm's Profits: Verifying the Relationship

What is the purpose of plotting a firm's profits?

The purpose of plotting a firm's profits is to visually represent the relationship between the firm's profits and a chosen variable, such as time or sales. This can help in identifying patterns and trends, as well as any potential correlations between the profits and the chosen variable.

What data is needed to plot a firm's profits?

In order to plot a firm's profits, you will need a dataset that includes the firm's profits and the chosen variable, such as quarterly sales data or annual time periods. This data can be collected from financial records or market research.

What is the best way to verify the relationship between a firm's profits and a chosen variable?

The best way to verify the relationship between a firm's profits and a chosen variable is to plot the data on a graph and visually examine the trend. Additionally, statistical analysis can be performed to determine the strength and significance of the relationship.

What are some common patterns that can be identified from plotting a firm's profits?

Some common patterns that can be identified from plotting a firm's profits include an upward or downward trend, seasonal fluctuations, and sudden spikes or drops. These patterns can provide insights into the performance of the firm and assist in making strategic decisions.

How often should a firm plot its profits to track the relationship with a chosen variable?

The frequency of plotting a firm's profits will depend on the nature of the business and the chosen variable. For example, a retail business may plot its profits on a monthly basis to track the relationship with sales, while a software company may do it on a quarterly basis to track the relationship with new product releases. It is important to regularly review and update the plot to accurately monitor the relationship over time.