Plotting Oddities on H-R Diagrams (B-V): What's Going On?

• Thread starter vociferous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the speaker was plotting the color magnitude diagram of a globular cluster and noticed an odd turn-off from the main sequence to the giant branch. They speculate that this could be due to a data adjustment they missed or the presence of hotter stars that should not be present in a globular cluster. They suggest that further investigation is needed to determine the cause of this unusual turn-off.
vociferous
I was plotting the color magnitude diagram of a globular cluster and I noticed something odd. On most H-R diagrams, the turn-off from the main sequence to the giant branch is somewhere between (B-V) magnitude values of about .5-1.0.

On my plot, the turn-off is between about -.4 and -0.1.

I am assuming that there is some data adjustment being done that I have missed.

I am also kind of puzzled by the presence of what appear to be a few hot stars, either super-giants or stars that are much hotter than the sun, neither of which should be present in a globular cluster where the stars are about the age of the Milky Way.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is possible that the cluster has been contaminated by a few foreground stars, or perhaps there are some more massive stars within the cluster that have evolved quickly and are now on their way to becoming white dwarfs. If this is the case, they will be located on the cooler side of the color magnitude diagram. It is also possible that the data you are using has been affected by some kind of observational bias that has resulted in the unusual shape of the turn-off. It is important to investigate further to determine the cause of the unusual turn-off.

Related to Plotting Oddities on H-R Diagrams (B-V): What's Going On?

What is an H-R diagram and how is it used in science?

An H-R (Hertzsprung-Russell) diagram is a graph that plots the luminosity (brightness) of stars against their surface temperature. It is used in science to understand the life cycle and characteristics of stars, as well as to classify and compare different types of stars.

What is the significance of plotting oddities on an H-R diagram based on B-V values?

The B-V (blue-violet) value is a measure of a star's color, with lower values indicating hotter stars and higher values indicating cooler stars. When oddities are plotted on an H-R diagram based on B-V values, it can provide insight into the physical processes occurring within the star, such as changes in temperature or composition.

What are some common oddities that can be observed on an H-R diagram based on B-V values?

Some common oddities include stars that are hotter or cooler than expected for their luminosity, stars that are brighter or dimmer than expected for their temperature, and stars that fall outside of the main sequence (the diagonal line on the H-R diagram where most stars are located).

What factors can contribute to these oddities on an H-R diagram based on B-V values?

There are several factors that can contribute to these oddities, including changes in a star's internal structure due to nuclear reactions, variations in a star's chemical composition, and interactions with other stars in a binary system.

How does studying oddities on an H-R diagram based on B-V values contribute to our understanding of stars and the universe?

Studying these oddities can provide valuable insights into the complex processes that drive the evolution and behavior of stars. It can also help us better understand the formation and structure of the universe, as stars play a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.

Back