Plotting Potential of 2 Charges: Solving 4πε0φ

In summary: I'm not sure what exactly the question is asking, but that function should give you a good idea of the potential along the line.In summary, the conversation discussed a question in which the system of two charges shown in Figure 2.8 needed to be plotted for potential energy. After some initial confusion about the figure's location, it was determined that the question was asking for a plot of the electric potential, which is the potential energy of a unit positive charge. The final function to be plotted was determined to be φ(z) = 12/(|z|) - 6/(|z-3|).
FS98

Homework Statement

Consider the system of two charges shown in Fig. 2.8. Let z be the coordinate along the line on which the two charges lie, with z = 0 at the location of the positive charge. Make a plot of the potential φ (or rather 4πε0φ, for simplicity) along this line, from z = −5 m to z = 15 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I’m not sure what this question is asking? Figure 2.8 didn’t seem to be anywhere in the book. Are they asking for potential energy, or the flux or something else? I’m not quite sure what this question is asking.

Edit: I found the figure, and I’m pretty sure they want a plot of the electric gradient.

Attachments

• 74D75038-DCE0-4F1D-9368-54FE56B5D578.jpeg
    74D75038-DCE0-4F1D-9368-54FE56B5D578.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Excuse me, where is the figure?

Likes FS98
Ah, so you meant that you didn't see figure 2.8 in the book?

Likes FS98
Nguyen Son said:
Ah, so you meant that you didn't see figure 2.8 in the book?
Yeah, I looked through the entire chapter. The last figure seems to be marked 2.52, so I’m not really sure what’s going on here.

Bigggg problem :DD :DD :DD Cuz without figure, we don't know the distance between two charges and sign of the second charge (positive or negative), and we can't do anything

Likes FS98
Nguyen Son said:
Bigggg problem :DD :DD :DD Cuz without figure, we don't know the distance between two charges and sign of the second charge (positive or negative), and we can't do anything
Just looked through it again. Apparently there are two sets of labeled figures. The correct one was at the beginning of the chapter, 46 pages away from the problem.

Attachments

• 171C3578-0466-4C0F-B292-C08390357F28.jpeg
    171C3578-0466-4C0F-B292-C08390357F28.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 446
Likes Nguyen Son
FS98 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the system of two charges shown in Fig. 2.8. Let z be the coordinate along the line on which the two charges lie, with z = 0 at the location of the positive charge. Make a plot of the potential φ (or rather 4πε0φ, for simplicity) along this line, from z = −5 m to z = 15 m.
The problem is asking for a plot of the electric potential, which is the potential energy of a unit positive charge (or equivalently, the electrostatic potential energy of a charge divided by the charge). So imagine a particle with a charge of +1 on the z-axis. What is its potential energy?

tnich said:
The problem is asking for a plot of the electric potential, which is the potential energy of a unit positive charge (or equivalently, the electrostatic potential energy of a charge divided by the charge). So imagine a particle with a charge of +1 on the z-axis. What is its potential energy?
Wouldn’t the potential energy approach infinity because there is already a positive charge on the z- axis?

Last edited:
FS98 said:
Wouldn’t it the potential energy approach infinity because there is already a positive charge on the z- axis?
Sure, the potential energy would approach infinity in some places, but not everywhere. There is also a negative charge on the z-axis.

Likes FS98
tnich said:
Sure, the potential energy would approach infinity in some places, but not everywhere. There is also a negative charge on the z-axis.
Oops, for some reason I thought you meant at point z = 0. On the entire axis would it be 2kQq/(|r|) -kQq/(|r-3|)?

FS98 said:
Oops, for some reason I thought you meant at point z = 0. On the entire axis would it be 2kQq/(|r|) -kQq/(|r-3|)?
That would be the potential energy of a charge q at z=r if Q = 6C. So you are part way there.

Likes FS98
tnich said:
That would be the potential energy of a charge q at z=r if Q = 6C. So you are part way there.
So would the function that I have to plot be φ(z) = 12k/(|z|) - 6k/(|z-3|)?

Edit: Or rather 12/(|z|) - 6/(|z-3|), because it looks like the question wants a factor of k to be taken out?

That looks right to me.

Likes FS98

FAQ: Plotting Potential of 2 Charges: Solving 4πε0φ

1. What is the purpose of plotting the potential of 2 charges?

The purpose of plotting the potential of 2 charges is to visualize the electric potential at different points in space due to the presence of two charges. This can help in understanding the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as predicting the behavior of charged particles in the vicinity of these charges.

2. How is the potential of 2 charges calculated?

The potential of 2 charges is calculated using the formula 4πε0φ, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space and φ is the electric potential. This formula takes into account the distance between the two charges, as well as their respective magnitudes and signs.

3. Can the potential of 2 charges be negative?

Yes, the potential of 2 charges can be negative. This indicates that the electric potential at a certain point is lower than the reference point, which is usually taken to be infinity. A negative potential can also indicate that the electric field is directed towards the charges, rather than away from them.

4. How does the potential of 2 charges change with distance?

The potential of 2 charges follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the potential decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the potential increases. This relationship is governed by the inverse square law.

5. What are the units of the potential of 2 charges?

The units of the potential of 2 charges depend on the units used for distance and charge. In SI units, the units are joules per coulomb (J/C). In CGS units, the units are ergs per statcoulomb (erg/statC). In both cases, the units can also be written as volts (V), which is a more commonly used unit for electric potential.

Back