PMOS diff amp - common mode input range

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the input common mode range for a PMOS differential pair and is looking for equations for the input signal ranges. They clarify that this is not a homework question and do not need specific rail voltages, just a general equation for the PMOS diff pair. They also mention equations for an NMOS diff pair and request assistance with understanding the voltage drops in a PMOS diff pair.
BillyBobjoe
Hi

Can someone help me on how i can calculate the input common mode range for this pmos diff pair. I'd have an idea if it was an NMOS diff pair but am kinda uncertain of this.
I'm looking for equations for the input signal ranges of Vmax and Vmin

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 684
Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone any help on this?

Thanks

BillyBobjoe said:
Hi

Can someone help me on how i can calculate the input common mode range for this pmos diff pair. I'd have an idea if it was an NMOS diff pair but am kinda uncertain of this.
I'm looking for equations for the input signal ranges of Vmax and Vmin

Thanks

What are your rail voltages? All that you show so far is the 50uA mirror bias...

Also, is this coursework? I should move it to the Homework Help forum if it is, and you need to show your own work in order for us to help you.

No its not a homework question. just for general use.
it doesn't mater what the rail voltages are i just want a general equation for the common mode input range for a pmos diff pair

if it were a nmos diff pair then the eq's would be
Vin_min = Vds(n6) + Vgs(n1)
Vin_max = Vaa + Vgs(p3) - Vds(n1) +Vgs(n1)

where n6 would be the nmos current mirror transistor, N1 - from the diff pair
p3 - pmos transistor above N1 of diff pair

so basically I'm just unsure on where the voltage drops are across for when i am using a pmos diff pair.
I would like help with these equations for the image attached in the first post.
Thanks

FAQ: PMOS diff amp - common mode input range

What is a PMOS diff amp?

A PMOS diff amp (PMOS differential amplifier) is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is composed of PMOS transistors and is commonly used in analog circuits such as operational amplifiers and audio amplifiers.

How does a PMOS diff amp work?

A PMOS diff amp works by using PMOS transistors in a differential pair configuration. The two input signals are applied to the gates of the transistors, and the amplified output is taken from the drains. The difference between the two input signals is amplified, while any common mode signals (signals that are present on both inputs) are rejected.

What is the common mode input range of a PMOS diff amp?

The common mode input range of a PMOS diff amp refers to the range of input voltages that can be applied to both inputs while still maintaining proper operation. It is typically specified as a minimum and maximum voltage range, and signals outside of this range may result in distorted or incorrect output.

Why is the common mode input range important?

The common mode input range is important because it determines the range of input signals that a PMOS diff amp can effectively amplify. If the input signals fall outside of the common mode input range, the output may be distorted or incorrect. It is therefore important to choose a PMOS diff amp with a common mode input range that suits the desired input signal range.

How can the common mode input range be extended?

The common mode input range of a PMOS diff amp can be extended by using external components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes. These components can be used to bias the input signals and shift them to fall within the common mode input range of the amplifier. Alternatively, a different PMOS diff amp with a wider common mode input range can be chosen.