Pneumatic Cylinder to open Hatch

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of designing a pneumatic system to open a 500lb hatch at a 110 degree angle in 10 seconds. The person is considering using a pneumatic cylinder and a bell crank, but is unsure of the necessary force to perform this action. A suggestion is made to calculate the acceleration and torque in order to determine the force needed. Diagrams are also recommended to better understand the layout of the hatch.
jrobinson
Hey everyone,

Having a little trouble with something a little out of my element. I've been tasked to design a pneumatic system to open a ~500lb hatch. I think I'm leaning towards a pneumatic cylinder to act on a bell crank. I need the hatch to open to 110 degrees from zero in about 10 seconds.

Where I'm getting stuck is on the force necessary to perform this action so I can size my cylinder and then the rest of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the layout like? You need to describe how the hatch is constrained and what it looks like. Diagrams are really helpful in these cases.

jrobinson said:
Hey everyone,

Having a little trouble with something a little out of my element. I've been tasked to design a pneumatic system to open a ~500lb hatch. I think I'm leaning towards a pneumatic cylinder to act on a bell crank. I need the hatch to open to 110 degrees from zero in about 10 seconds.

Where I'm getting stuck is on the force necessary to perform this action so I can size my cylinder and then the rest of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1st of all calculate the acceleration

acceleration can calculated by using equation of motion,

aceeleration= 2ө/ (tXt)
where ө= total angle travelled, (in your case it is 110 degrees)
t= time taken for traveling the angle ө(in your case it is 10 sec.)

torque, T= (inertia of the rotating object) X acceleration

From th torque u can calculate the force required...

Force F=Tr, where r is the radial distance @ which u r rotating the object...

Related to Pneumatic Cylinder to open Hatch

1. What is a pneumatic cylinder?

A pneumatic cylinder is a mechanical device that uses compressed air to produce force in a linear motion. It consists of a piston, a cylinder, and valves that control the flow of air.

2. How does a pneumatic cylinder open a hatch?

A pneumatic cylinder is attached to the hatch and connected to an air compressor. When the air compressor releases compressed air into the cylinder, it pushes the piston, creating a linear force that opens the hatch.

3. What are the advantages of using a pneumatic cylinder for opening hatches?

Pneumatic cylinders are known for their high force output and quick response time. They are also relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain, and do not require a power source other than compressed air.

4. Can a pneumatic cylinder be used for both opening and closing hatches?

Yes, depending on the design and configuration of the cylinder, it can be used for both opening and closing hatches. This is achieved by controlling the direction of the air flow using valves.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a pneumatic cylinder to open a hatch?

Yes, it is important to properly install and maintain the pneumatic cylinder and its components to ensure safe operation. It is also important to follow proper safety procedures when working with compressed air, as it can be dangerous if not handled properly.