Point (a, b) Reflected About Two Lines

In summary, we discussed a method for reflecting a given point about a line with a given slope and y-intercept. We derived a general formula for finding the coordinates of the reflected point and applied it to the given problem, where the line is y = 3x and the reflected point is (a', b') = [(3b - 4a)/5, (3a + 4b)/5]. We also explored the concept of distance between a point and a line in order to solve the problem.
mathdad
This question is found in the challenge section of the textbook. This is a two-part question. Like always, I am looking for steps or hints that will allow me to work out the math.

1. If the point (a, b) is reflected in the line y = 3x, show that the coordinates of the reflected points are as follows:

[(3b - 4a)/5, (3a + 4b)/5]

2. If the point (a, b) is reflected in the line y = mx, what are the coordinates of the reflected point?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
This question is found in the challenge section of the textbook. This is a two-part question. Like always, I am looking for steps or hints that will allow me to work out the math.

1. If the point (a, b) is reflected in the line y = 3x, show that the coordinates of the reflected points are as follows:

[(3b - 4a)/5, (3a + 4b)/5]

2. If the point (a, b) is reflected in the line y = mx, what are the coordinates of the reflected point?
What have you tried?

-Dan

Let's generalize the method I posted http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-calculus-21/reflection-about-y-x-20690-post94058.html#post94058 to reflect a given point $(a,b)$ about the line $y=mx+k$, where ($m\ne0$). We will call the reflected point $(a',b')$.

First, we want the distance $d$ between the given point and the line:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{|ma+k-b|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

So, we know $(a'b')$ must lie along the line:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{m}(x-a)+b\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle mb'-mb=a-a'\tag{1}\)

We also know the distance from $(a'b')$ to the line must be $d$, so we have:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{|ma'+k-b'|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

Thus, we want to look at (to ensure the two points are distinct):

\(\displaystyle ma+k-b=-ma'-k+b'\)

\(\displaystyle b+b'-k=ma+ma'+k\tag{2}\)

From (1), we find:

\(\displaystyle b'=\frac{mb+a-a'}{m}\)

And from (2):

\(\displaystyle b'=ma+ma'-b+2k\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{mb+a-a'}{m}=ma+ma'-b+2k\)

Solving for $a'$, there results:

\(\displaystyle a'=\frac{(1-m^2)a+2m(b-k)}{m^2+1}\)

And so plugging this value into either expression for $b'$ above gives us (after simplification):

\(\displaystyle b'=\frac{(m^2-1)b+2(ma+k)}{m^2+1}\)

Now we have a general formula. (Clapping)

In the given problem, we have $m=3$ and $k=0$, thus:

\(\displaystyle a'=\frac{(1-3^2)a+2(3)(b-0)}{3^2+1}=\frac{-8a+6b}{10}=\frac{3b-4a}{5}\)

\(\displaystyle b'=\frac{(3^2-1)b+2((3)a+0)}{3^2+1}=\frac{8b+6a}{10}=\frac{4b+3a}{5}\)

MarkFL said:
Let's generalize the method I posted http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-calculus-21/reflection-about-y-x-20690-post94058.html#post94058 to reflect a given point $(a,b)$ about the line $y=mx+k$, where ($m\ne0$). We will call the reflected point $(a',b')$.

First, we want the distance $d$ between the given point and the line:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{|ma+k-b|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

So, we know $(a'b')$ must lie along the line:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{m}(x-a)+b\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle mb'-mb=a-a'\tag{1}\)

We also know the distance from $(a'b')$ to the line must be $d$, so we have:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{|ma'+k-b'|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

Thus, we want to look at (to ensure the two points are distinct):

\(\displaystyle ma+k-b=-ma'-k+b'\)

\(\displaystyle b+b'-k=ma+ma'+k\tag{2}\)

From (1), we find:

\(\displaystyle b'=\frac{mb+a-a'}{m}\)

And from (2):

\(\displaystyle b'=ma+ma'-b+2k\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{mb+a-a'}{m}=ma+ma'-b+2k\)

Solving for $a'$, there results:

\(\displaystyle a'=\frac{(1-m^2)a+2m(b-k)}{m^2+1}\)

And so plugging this value into either expression for $b'$ above gives us (after simplification):

\(\displaystyle b'=\frac{(m^2-1)b+2(ma+k)}{m^2+1}\)

Now we have a general formula. (Clapping)

In the given problem, we have $m=3$ and $k=0$, thus:

\(\displaystyle a'=\frac{(1-3^2)a+2(3)(b-0)}{3^2+1}=\frac{-8a+6b}{10}=\frac{3b-4a}{5}\)

\(\displaystyle b'=\frac{(3^2-1)b+2((3)a+0)}{3^2+1}=\frac{8b+6a}{10}=\frac{4b+3a}{5}\)
Thank you very much. Great work!

Related to Point (a, b) Reflected About Two Lines

1. What does it mean to reflect a point about two lines?

Reflecting a point about two lines means to find the mirror image of the point when it is reflected across two intersecting lines.

2. How do I reflect a point about two lines?

To reflect a point (a, b) about two lines, first draw the two intersecting lines. Then, draw a line from the point (a, b) to the intersection of the two lines. Finally, extend this line the same distance past the intersection to find the reflected point.

3. Can I reflect a point about two parallel lines?

Yes, you can reflect a point about two parallel lines. The process is the same as reflecting a point about two intersecting lines, except the extended line will be parallel to the original lines.

4. What is the equation for reflecting a point about two lines?

The equation for reflecting a point (a, b) about two lines y = mx + c and y = nx + d is (a', b'), where a' = a + 2(mc + nd) and b' = b + 2(m + n).

5. How is reflecting a point about two lines useful in real life?

Reflecting a point about two lines can be useful in many scenarios, such as in architecture, engineering, and game design. It can also be used in navigation to determine the shortest distance between two points if one has to travel along two intersecting roads or paths.