Point belongs to the boundary - real analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an exercise involving a set E and showing that 2 is an element of E. The equations and steps used in the attempt at a solution are outlined, including the use of Archimedes' Principle. The question of what is wrong with the given approach is raised and answered.
Dassinia
Hello,
I have some trouble to solve this exercise

Homework Statement

E={ (-1)n (8n+7)/(4n-1) : n ∈ℕ}
Show that 2∈[PLAIN]http://www.ilemaths.net/img/smb-bleu/derivepartielle.gifE

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have to show that (2-r,2+r)∩ E ≠∅ and (2-r,2+r)∩ ℝ/E ≠∅
If I take the part where (-1)n=1 i will note it E''
We have
(8n+7)/(4n-1)=2+9/(4n-1)
I want to show that there is a point y so that y∈(2-r,2+r)∩ E'' i.e N :
2-r<2+9/(4N-1)
The thing is that we also have 2+r<2+9/(4N-1) but we are supposed to have 2+9/(4N-1) between 2-r and 2+r and then show that N ∃ by Archimedes' Principle, so what is wrong ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:
I want to show that there is a point y so that y∈(2-r,2+r)∩ E'' i.e N :
2-r<2+9/(4N-1)
The thing is that we also have 2+r<2+9/(4N-1) but we are supposed to have 2+9/(4N-1) between 2-r and 2+r and then show that N ∃ by Archimedes' Principle, so what is wrong?
Why do you think ##2+r < 2+\frac{9}{4N-1}##? You get to choose N so that ##2+\frac{9}{4N-1} < 2+r## holds.

Thank you !

Related to Point belongs to the boundary - real analysis

What is a point belonging to the boundary in real analysis?

A point belonging to the boundary in real analysis refers to a point on the edge or boundary of a set of numbers. It is neither inside nor outside the set, but rather on the dividing line between the two.

How is a point belonging to the boundary different from a point in the interior of a set?

A point belonging to the boundary is different from a point in the interior of a set because it is not considered to be part of the set itself. It is only on the edge or boundary of the set, while points in the interior are considered to be part of the set.

Can a point belong to the boundary of more than one set?

Yes, a point can belong to the boundary of more than one set. This can occur when the sets overlap or share a common boundary point.

How is a point belonging to the boundary determined in real analysis?

A point belonging to the boundary is determined by checking if the point is a limit point of the set. If the point is a limit point, it is considered to be part of the boundary.

Can a point belonging to the boundary also be a limit point of a set?

Yes, a point belonging to the boundary can also be a limit point of a set. This is because the boundary of a set contains both limit points and points that are not part of the set.