Point Charge and Charged Sphere

In summary, the problem involves a point charge located at the center of a conducting shell with inner radius 2.6 cm and outer radius 4.9 cm. The conducting shell has a net charge of 1.1 μC. The question asks for the value of the x-component of the electric field at a point P located 8.9 cm along the x-axis from the point charge. Using equations for electric fields, the correct answer is found to be -6703699 N/C. For the second part of the problem, the surface charge density at the outer edge of the shell is found by using the area of the outer edge and the charge on the outer edge, resulting in a value of -0.000195
ThirdEyeBlind

Homework Statement

A point charge q1 = -7 μC is located at the center of a thick conducting shell of inner radius a = 2.6 cm and outer radius b = 4.9 cm, The conducting shell has a net charge of q2 = 1.1 μC.
sxneB.png

What is Ex(P), the value of the x-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 8.9 cm along the x-axis from q1?

Homework Equations

(1.)For an electric field outside of a conducting sphere(where r>R), E=Q/ (4pi Epsilon naught r^2)
(2.)Electric Field of Point Charge, E= kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so what I did was try to the sum of the electric fields first from the point charge in the center using equation (2.) and then I added that to the electric field outside the sphere to the point using equation (1.) and my Q as q2.
Doing this I get -1774598 N/C when the answer should be -6703699 N/C. I am not very good at E&M so I would appreciate all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ThirdEyeBlind! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: what is the electric field outside a sphere of radius > b ? :wink:

Alright so now I am getting the correct answer thanks to your hint but I am now stuck on another part.

What is σb, the surface charge density at the outer edge of the shell?
I was just thinking it would have been (1.1E-6 C) / (.049 m2 - .026 m2 * pi)
which is the charge of the conducting shell divided by the area of the shell. However the answer is -0.00019554 C/m2 so I don't understand how they get that.

Hi ThirdEyeBlind! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
ThirdEyeBlind said:
What is σb, the surface charge density at the outer edge of the shell?
I was just thinking it would have been (1.1E-6 C) / (.049 m2 - .026 m2 * pi)
which is the charge of the conducting shell divided by the area of the shell.

Sorry, but this is completely wrong. :redface:

For the surface charge density at the outer edge, you use only the area of the outer edge (isn't that obvious? :confused:).

Also, it's 4πr2 for the area, not πr2.

Also, you need to find the charge on the outer edge, not the net charge.

I would suggest first checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for charge and distance. It is also important to note that the net charge of the conducting shell will not affect the electric field at point P, as it is located outside of the shell. Therefore, you only need to consider the electric field from the point charge q1.

Next, I would recommend using the superposition principle, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields from each source charge. In this case, you can use equation (2.) to calculate the electric field from q1 at point P, and then add it to the electric field from q2 at point P (using equation (1.) with q2 as the source charge).

I would also suggest drawing a diagram to visualize the situation and make sure you are using the correct distances and directions for your calculations.

If you are still having trouble, you can also consult a textbook or seek help from a professor or tutor. It is important to understand the fundamental principles and equations in electromagnetism in order to accurately solve these types of problems.

FAQ: Point Charge and Charged Sphere

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical particle that has a single charge and no size or shape. It is used to simplify calculations in physics and is often represented by the symbol q.

2. How is the electric field of a point charge calculated?

The electric field of a point charge is calculated by using the equation E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the location where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the difference between a positive and a negative point charge?

A positive point charge has a charge that is greater than zero, while a negative point charge has a charge that is less than zero. The sign of the charge indicates the direction of the electric field lines, with positive charges having outward field lines and negative charges having inward field lines.

4. What is a charged sphere?

A charged sphere is a spherical object that has a net charge. It can be either positively or negatively charged and can have a uniform or non-uniform charge distribution. The electric field of a charged sphere is dependent on the charge distribution and can be calculated using the Gauss's law.

5. How is the electric potential of a charged sphere related to its electric field?

The electric potential of a charged sphere is directly proportional to its electric field. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the electric potential also increases. The relationship between the two can be expressed by the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.