Point mass strikes thin rod: angular momentum

In summary, the problem presented involves a point mass colliding with a stationary uniform thin rod in an elastic collision without any pivot or anchor points. The rod is floating freely in empty space and the point mass does not stick to the rod. The rod will rotate about its center of mass due to the absence of external torque. In order to determine the various velocities after the collision, conservation of kinetic energy and angular momentum equations are set up. However, an additional equation, conservation of linear momentum, is needed to solve for all three unknowns. To maximize the loss of kinetic energy, the point mass would have to stick to the rod, but this is not feasible without some sort of attachment.
nelkypie

Homework Statement

A point mass "m" moving at speed "v" strikes the end of a stationary uniform thin rod of length "l" and the same mass "m" at a right angle. The point mass does not stick to the rod; the collision is elastic. There are no pivot or anchor points. The system is floating freely in empty space.

a) What point will the rod rotate about after the collision, and why?
b) How would I set up relations to determine the various velocities of the point and rod after the collision?
c) In what case would the collision between a point mass and a thin rod be inelastic? How would I have to change the initial and final states of the point and rod to maximize loss of kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

L=Iω
L=r x mv
v=ωr
conservation of angular momentum equation
conservation of kinetic energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively speaking, I think that the rod should rotate about its center of mass because there is no external torque on the system to displace the axis of rotation elsewhere.

I set up a conservation of kinetic energy formula with the initial KE of the point mass on one side and the sum of the point mass' KE and the rod's KE (two separate terms for translation and rotation) on the other. I also set up a conservation of angular momentum formula, but two equations aren't enough to solve for three unknowns. What component am I missing?

In order to maximize the loss of kinetic energy, the point would have to stick to the rod such that they share the same final angular velocity. However, I'm not sure if that's feasible in this scenario. I'm wondering whether the rod would have to be attached to a pivot of some sort for the point mass to stick.

Physics news on Phys.org
nelkypie said:
Intuitively speaking, I think that the rod should rotate about its center of mass because there is no external torque on the system to displace the axis of rotation elsewhere.
The impacting mass has a moment about the centre of the rod.
I set up a conservation of kinetic energy formula with the initial KE of the point mass on one side and the sum of the point mass' KE and the rod's KE (two separate terms for translation and rotation) on the other. I also set up a conservation of angular momentum formula, but two equations aren't enough to solve for three unknowns. What component am I missing?
Conservation of linear momentum.
In order to maximize the loss of kinetic energy, the point would have to stick to the rod such that they share the same final angular velocity. However, I'm not sure if that's feasible in this scenario. I'm wondering whether the rod would have to be attached to a pivot of some sort for the point mass to stick.
It certainly could stick - just have it made of putty, say.

Related to Point mass strikes thin rod: angular momentum

1. What is a point mass and a thin rod in this context?

A point mass is a mathematical concept used to represent an object with all its mass concentrated at a single point. A thin rod, on the other hand, is a physical object with a length much greater than its width or height. In this context, a point mass is striking a thin rod, which means the entire mass of the point mass is concentrated at a single point of the rod.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the momentum an object has due to its rotation around an axis.

3. How does a point mass striking a thin rod affect the angular momentum?

When a point mass strikes a thin rod, it transfers its linear momentum to the rod. This causes the rod to rotate and thus, changes its angular momentum. The change in angular momentum depends on the mass and velocity of the point mass, as well as the moment of inertia of the rod.

4. What is the equation for calculating the angular momentum in a point mass striking a thin rod scenario?

The equation for calculating the angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. In this scenario, the moment of inertia is affected by the point mass and the thin rod's geometry.

5. How does the angle of impact affect the angular momentum in a point mass striking a thin rod scenario?

The angle of impact plays a significant role in determining the angular momentum in this scenario. If the point mass strikes the rod at a perpendicular angle, the angular momentum will be maximum. However, if the angle of impact is not perpendicular, the angular momentum will be less than the maximum value and will depend on the angle of impact.