Point of intersection of tangent line with another line

In summary, to find the point at which the tangent line to the given curve intersects the line y=2-x at t=1, use the parametric equation of the curve, the derivative of the curve, and the equation of the line to find the value of s that gives y=2-x on the tangent line. Then plug that value into the tangent line equation to find the point of intersection. "
mill

Homework Statement

Find the pt. at which the tangent line to the curve x=3t^2 - t, y=2t+t^3 at t=1 intersects the line y=2-x.

Homework Equations

Possibly <6t-1, 2+3t^2> if the tangent is not already present

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about how to go about solving this. Where should I use the t=1? I thought about parametrizing y=2-x, but I am unsure about how to do this. Do I assume 0=f(x,y)=2-x-y?

The answer is (1/2, 3/2) but I have no idea how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement

Find the pt. at which the tangent line to the curve x=3t^2 - t, y=2t+t^3 at t=1 intersects the line y=2-x.

Homework Equations

I am confused about how to go about solving this. Where should I use the t=1? I thought about parametrizing y=2-x, but I am unsure about how to do this. Do I assume 0=f(x,y)=2-x-y?

Parametrizing y=2-x is not a good idea.

You have the curve, with x and y given in terms of a parameter t. How do you find dy/dx for such a curve? Once you have dy/dx, evaluate it for t = 1. This will give you the slope of the tangent line. The point of tangency is the point on the curve where t = 1.

Mark44 said:
Parametrizing y=2-x is not a good idea.

You have the curve, with x and y given in terms of a parameter t. How do you find dy/dx for such a curve? Once you have dy/dx, evaluate it for t = 1. This will give you the slope of the tangent line. The point of tangency is the point on the curve where t = 1.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I assume <6t-1, 2+3t^2> is the dy/dx at this curve.

Evaluated at t=1, I would get <5,5>. Is the y value 5 the slope?

I'm guessing putting it into another y=mx+b form would be the way to go, but I'm sure that I am not correctly translating these values.

Last edited by a moderator:
mill said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I assume <6t-1, 2+3t^2> is the dy/dx at this curve.
No. This is the vector <dx/dt, dy/dt>. For the tangent to the curve, you need dy/dx.

mill said:
Evaluated at t=1, I would get <5,5>. Is the y value 5 the slope?
No, see above.
mill said:
I'm guessing putting it into another y=mx+b form would be the way to go, but I'm sure that I am not correctly translating these values.

Mark44 said:
No. This is the vector <dx/dt, dy/dt>. For the tangent to the curve, you need dy/dx.

No, see above.

I guess my question would be, how would I find dy/dx when only <dx/dt, dy/dt> has been provided. Would I find the parametrization r=<dx/dt, dy/dt> + t v and take dr/dx?

Would that look something like r=<5,5> + (1) <dx/dt, dy/dt>?

mill said:
I guess my question would be, how would I find dy/dx when only <dx/dt, dy/dt> has been provided.
Well, from the chain rule, dy/dt = dy/dx * dx/dt. Does that give you an idea of how to find dy/dx?
mill said:
Would I find the parametrization r=<dx/dt, dy/dt> + t v and take dr/dx?
This doesn't make much sense. You want the tangent line to be y = mx + b. No vectors.

mill said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The equation for the tangent to a parametrized curve is ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. You should be able to calculate this quickly in terms of t.

You can now calculate the gradient of the tangent line at the required point. Can you figure out the equation of the tangent line? This should be elementary.

Mark44 said:
Well, from the chain rule, dy/dt = dy/dx * dx/dt. Does that give you an idea of how to find dy/dx?
This doesn't make much sense. You want the tangent line to be y = mx + b. No vectors.

From the chain rule, I got y'=3t^2 +2 / 6t-1.

I evaluated at t=1 which is y'=1. If m=y' and I choose (1,1) as a point, y=x but this definitely not the right line, since solving for the intersection of y=x and y=2-x yields (1, 1).

Curious3141 said:
The equation for the tangent to a parametrized curve is ##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##. You should be able to calculate this quickly in terms of t.

You can now calculate the gradient of the tangent line at the required point. Can you figure out the equation of the tangent line? This should be elementary.

Gradient? This is a problem from the beginning of multivariable calc so it shouldn't figure into it yet. I found dy/dx at evaluated at t=1. From the chain rule, I got y'=3t^2 +2 / 6t-1. I chose the point (1,1) to find the line equation. From this I got y=x, which isn't correct. There are gaps in my calculus knowledge so I'm not sure what is missing.

I'm a bit late to this thread and I'm going to suggest a different, and in my opinion, more appropriate approach to this problem. You don't need to mess with dy/dx at all when you have the parametric equation for the line$$
\vec r(t) = \langle3t^2-t, 2t+t^3\rangle$$And you know the derivative$$
\vec r'(t) = \langle6t -1, 2+3t^2\rangle$$is tangent to the curve. The tangent line to the curve when ##t=1## is$$
\vec T(s) = \vec r(1) + s\vec r'(1)$$Figure out what value of ##s## on that line gives ##y=2-x##and use that value in ##\vec T(s)## to get the point of intersection.

mill said:
Gradient? This is a problem from the beginning of multivariable calc so it shouldn't figure into it yet. I found dy/dx at evaluated at t=1. From the chain rule, I got y'=3t^2 +2 / 6t-1. I chose the point (1,1) to find the line equation. From this I got y=x, which isn't correct. There are gaps in my calculus knowledge so I'm not sure what is missing.

Gradient is another name for slope of a line.

You can't just "choose" a random point like (1,1). The tangent line meets the curve at exactly one point. Hence this point lies on both the tangent line *and* the curve. You don't know the equation of the tangent line (yet) but you *do* know the parametric equations determining the curve. Now you have to *calculate* the coordinates of this point using those equations, getting the x and y values corresponding to t = 1.

Following that, you have to determine the equation of the tangent line. The standard form is ##y = mx + c## where m is the gradient (or slope) and c is the y-intercept. You already know m, and you should be able to determine c based on the coordinates you just calculated.

Curious3141 said:
Gradient is another name for slope of a line.

You can't just "choose" a random point like (1,1). The tangent line meets the curve at exactly one point. Hence this point lies on both the tangent line *and* the curve. You don't know the equation of the tangent line (yet) but you *do* know the parametric equations determining the curve. Now you have to *calculate* the coordinates of this point using those equations, getting the x and y values corresponding to t = 1.

Following that, you have to determine the equation of the tangent line. The standard form is ##y = mx + c## where m is the gradient (or slope) and c is the y-intercept. You already know m, and you should be able to determine c based on the coordinates you just calculated.

At t=1, the coordinates are <5,5> but that still yields y=x.

mill said:
No, it doesn't.

From post #1
mill said:
The slope of the tangent line is 1, but I don't think you have figured out what the point of tangency is on the parametric curve. To get the equation of the tangent line, you need the slope (which you have) and a point on the line (which you don't have). What are the coordinates on the parametric curve when t = 1?

mill said:

You do NOT use the expression for the derivative to get that point! Go back to the original parametric equations for the curve.

Related to Point of intersection of tangent line with another line

1. What is a point of intersection?

A point of intersection is a point where two or more lines, curves, or surfaces meet or cross each other.

2. How do you find the point of intersection of a tangent line and another line?

To find the point of intersection of a tangent line and another line, you must first find the equation of the tangent line and the equation of the other line. Then, you can solve the system of equations to find the coordinates of the point of intersection.

3. Can there be more than one point of intersection between a tangent line and another line?

Yes, there can be more than one point of intersection between a tangent line and another line, depending on the slope and position of the lines. If the lines are parallel, there will be no point of intersection. If the lines are perpendicular, there will be exactly one point of intersection.

4. What does the point of intersection represent?

The point of intersection represents the common point where two lines meet and have the same coordinates. It is the solution to the system of equations formed by the two lines.

5. How is the point of intersection of a tangent line and another line used in calculus?

The point of intersection of a tangent line and another line is used in calculus to find the derivative of the function at a specific point. This point is also used to determine the slope of the tangent line, which is essential in calculating the rate of change of a function at a given point.