Point of reference in relative time

In summary, there is no great difference between the ships perspective. As, The Earth is traveling away from me at high speed. Earths perspective, the ship is traveling away from me at high speed. The difference I'm aware of is the experienced acceleration, ergo the force and and thus increased kinetic energy (but kinetic energy should be relative the observer, it is however positive in both negative and positive vector direction).
EmilMasback
Hi everyone. I rediscovered a question I caught in High-school that I never encountered a answer to.

Given a spaceship going back and forth into space, during it's travel it accelerate close to c relative to earth. At an appropriate distance it breaks and returns in a similar fashion. My understanding of what would be experienced is that the equipment and/or passengers on the ship would have their net-sum of elapsed time greatly reduced compared to earth-time.

The issue arrives as I can't, from the general theory discern the ship moving from everything else in the system moving. In short, does the acceleration the ship experiences cause the relative shortage of time or is there some other indicator to whom is subject to the relative speed.

in other words, were in lies the difference between moving the ship and moving the system but not the ship.

Thanks for any insights

//Emil

Physics news on Phys.org
EmilMasback said:
Hi everyone. I rediscovered a question I caught in High-school that I never encountered a answer to.

Given a spaceship going back and forth into space, during it's travel it accelerate close to c relative to earth. At an appropriate distance it breaks and returns in a similar fashion. My understanding of what would be experienced is that the equipment and/or passengers on the ship would have their net-sum of elapsed time greatly reduced compared to earth-time.

The issue arrives as I can't, from the general theory discern the ship moving from everything else in the system moving. In short, does the acceleration the ship experiences cause the relative shortage of time or is there some other indicator to whom is subject to the relative speed.

in other words, were in lies the difference between moving the ship and moving the system but not the ship.

Thanks for any insights

//Emil
I think you have answered your own question with the phrase I put in bold.

Then my question is poorly posed.

There is no great difference between the ships perspective. As, The Earth is traveling away from me at high speed. Earths perspective, the ship is traveling away from me at high speed.

The difference I'm aware of is the experienced acceleration, ergo the force and and thus increased kinetic energy (but kinetic energy should be relative the observer, it is however positive in both negative and positive vector direction).

The question is thus, What dictates who is the stable, (relative)-non-moving observer when two objects perceive motion relative to themselves.

EmilMasback said:
Then my question is poorly posed.

There is no great difference between the ships perspective. As, The Earth is traveling away from me at high speed. Earths perspective, the ship is traveling away from me at high speed.

The difference I'm aware of is the experienced acceleration, ergo the force and and thus increased kinetic energy (but kinetic energy should be relative the observer, it is however positive in both negative and positive vector direction).

The question is thus, What dictates who is the stable, (relative)-non-moving observer when two objects perceive motion relative to themselves.
In this case, they both remain inertial so there's no preference. In your first post,
only the Earth remained inertial so it has preference.

In terms of coordinates, each observer is the same. Each can set up a coordinate system where the other moves away and comes back. The difference for relativity is something empirical that each can measure - inertia or acceleration. While each can decide that it is the other which is accelerating in the observer's coordinate system, the experienced reality will be different. One (or both) may experience acceleration, but it is not possible for both to experience being at rest, experiencing no acceleration. This empirical thing called inertia goes beyond the coordinate systems we set up, and it is this which determines who experiences less time overall to have passed when the observers meet up.

It's the acceleration that makes the difference. But it doesn't do it all. The acceleration essentially enables the spaceship to travel in a new direction through 4d spacetime which is analogous to a shortcut. Of course, this statement is very qualitative. The exact math is contained in the Lorentz Transformation.

EmilMasback said:
The inertial one.

EmilMasback said:

Who ever got there first. :smile:, nah Dalespam is right.

Related to Point of reference in relative time

1. What is a point of reference in relative time?

A point of reference in relative time is a specific moment or event used to compare and measure the duration of other events. It serves as a starting point or frame of reference for understanding the sequence and duration of events in relation to each other.

2. How is a point of reference determined in relative time?

A point of reference can be determined by choosing a significant event or moment in time that is relevant to the situation being studied. This could be the beginning of a specific event or the start of a certain period of time.

3. Why is a point of reference important in understanding relative time?

A point of reference is important because it provides a common starting point for measuring and comparing the duration of events. It allows for a standard frame of reference and helps to make sense of the sequence of events.

4. Can a point of reference change in relative time?

Yes, a point of reference can change depending on the situation or context. For example, the start of a day may be a point of reference for measuring time during the day, but the start of a month may be used as a point of reference for measuring longer periods of time.

5. How does a point of reference affect our perception of time?

A point of reference can influence our perception of time by providing a benchmark for understanding the duration of events. It can also create a sense of structure and organization in our understanding of time.