Points of intersection with polar equations

In summary, points of intersection in polar equations are the coordinates where two or more equations intersect on a graph. They can be found by solving the equations simultaneously and can be used in real-world applications such as solving problems involving circular or symmetrical shapes or in engineering and design. The number of points of intersection can vary depending on the complexity of the equations. However, they may not always be visible on a polar graph and may require the use of a calculator or software to find their precise coordinates.
n00neimp0rtnt

Homework Statement

I have to find all of the points of intersection of the curves...

r2 = sin(2θ)
r2 = cos(2θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(2θ) = cos(2θ)
2sinθcosθ = cos2θ - sin2θ
2sinθcosθ - cos2θ = -sin2θ
cosθ(2sinθ - cosθ) = -sin2θ

This is where I'm having a problem, I'm not sure what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just divide by cos2θ and solve tan2θ=1?

Aww. Yep you're right, thanks. (Today is not a math day for me; I temporarily forgot how to factor earlier, haha)

Related to Points of intersection with polar equations

1. What are points of intersection in polar equations?

Points of intersection in polar equations refer to the coordinates where two or more polar equations intersect on a graph. These points represent the common solutions to the equations and can be found by solving the equations simultaneously.

2. How do you find points of intersection in polar equations?

To find points of intersection in polar equations, you can set the equations equal to each other and solve for the common variable. Once you have the value of the variable, you can substitute it into either equation to find the corresponding coordinate.

3. Are points of intersection always visible on a polar graph?

No, points of intersection may not always be visible on a polar graph. Depending on the scale and range of the graph, the points may be too close together or too far apart to be visible. In these cases, you may need to use a calculator or software to find the precise coordinates.

4. Can there be more than two points of intersection in polar equations?

Yes, there can be more than two points of intersection in polar equations. The number of points of intersection will depend on the number of equations and their complexity. It is possible to have an infinite number of points of intersection if the equations are identical or have an infinite number of solutions.

5. How can points of intersection in polar equations be used in real-world applications?

Points of intersection in polar equations can be used to solve real-world problems involving circular or symmetrical shapes, such as calculating the intersection points of two orbiting objects. They can also be used in engineering and design to determine the intersection points of curves or lines on a polar coordinate system.

Back