Poiseullie's Equation experiment

• Thread starter Puppyraiser8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the speaker is a senior undergraduate student who is struggling with creating an experiment using Poiseuille's equation in their physics class. They have tried researching online but are having trouble understanding the information they find. They asked their instructor for assistance but did not receive much help. They are unsure of what apparatus to use and are feeling lost and clueless. They also mention not understanding the language used in their internet research.
Puppyraiser8
I am taking physics for the first time in my life (senior in undergraduate) and I haev so lost! I have to create an experiment using Poiseullie's equation. I have no idea where to start! I have tried doing some internet reserach, but I am not understanding the sites I am finding. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happened when you asked your instructor for clarification/advice? Are you supposed to be searching websites or books for useful information?

Well, after google corrected the spelling of Poiseuille for me, a lot of the hits looked pretty informative. I know that the accuracy of wikipedia.org can be questionable as you get to more complex subjects, but their page on Poiseuille's Law looks pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poiseuille's_law

Do you have specific questions? What physical apparatus do you think you should use to demonstrate the flow equations?

Well, my instructor just told me to look around for assitance. I know, not much help. She suggested looking on the internet for an experiment. I have no idea what apparatus to use, or anything really. I'm really quite lost and clueless. This is for a project, so we haven't gone over this information in class yet. I googled the topic as well, but I don't understand the lanugage used in them.

Do you understand the figure at the wikipedia link that shows the differences in the flow for a liquid in a pipe, based on the radius from the center? What kind of physical demonstration does that imply?

Related to Poiseullie's Equation experiment

1. What is Poiseullie's Equation?

Poiseullie's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of a fluid through a cylindrical pipe. It takes into account factors such as the fluid's viscosity, the length and diameter of the pipe, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe.

2. Why is Poiseullie's Equation important in fluid mechanics?

Poiseullie's Equation is important because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of fluids in a variety of situations. It can be used to calculate flow rates, pressure drops, and other important parameters in many engineering and scientific applications.

3. How is the Poiseullie's Equation experiment conducted?

The experiment involves setting up a cylindrical pipe with a known length and diameter, and filling it with a fluid. Pressure sensors are placed at both ends of the pipe, and the pressure difference is measured. By varying the flow rate and recording the corresponding pressure difference, we can collect data to be used in the Poiseullie's Equation.

4. What are some real-world applications of Poiseullie's Equation?

Poiseullie's Equation has many practical applications, including in the design of pipes and pumps for fluid transport, as well as in the study of blood flow in human circulatory systems. It is also used in the oil and gas industry, in the design of fuel injectors for engines, and in many other fields where fluid flow is involved.

5. What are some limitations of Poiseullie's Equation?

While Poiseullie's Equation is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes laminar flow (smooth and orderly), which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account factors such as turbulence, friction, and compressibility of the fluid, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, it is only applicable to cylindrical pipes and may not accurately represent flow in other shapes or geometries.