Is f(q1, p1) an Integral of Motion in This Hamiltonian System?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a Hamiltonian only depends on q1 and p1 through a function f(q_1,p_1), then f(q_1, p_1) is an integral of motion. The solution involves computing the Poisson bracket between f and H to show that q1 and p1 are integrals of motion, and therefore, a function of these two variables is also an integral of motion.
Oreith
Missing homework template due to being originally posted in another forum.
I am stuck on a proof. I need to show that if a Hamiltonian only depends on q1 and p1 though a function [itex]f(q_1,p_1)[/itex], that is; [tex]H(f(q_1, p_1), q_2, p_2, q_3, p_3, ... q_n, p_n)[/tex] then [tex]f(q_1, p_1)[/tex] is an integral of motion.

My attempt at a solution is as rather simplistic but I'm stuck making the final jump. Since the Hamiltonian is not directly a function of q1 and p1 it must commute;

[tex][q_1, H] = [p_1, H] = 0[/tex]

so q1 and p1 are integrals of motion. How do i then say that a function of those two variables is also an integral of motion, it feels intuitive but I cannot figure out how to write it down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried simply computing the Poisson bracket between ##f## and ##H##?

I have now, thanks =)

Related to Is f(q1, p1) an Integral of Motion in This Hamiltonian System?

1. What is Poisson's equation and how is it related to the integral of motion?

Poisson's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the potential energy of a system and the distribution of mass within that system. It is closely related to the integral of motion, which is a mathematical quantity that remains constant as a system evolves over time.

2. What is the significance of the integral of motion in classical mechanics?

The integral of motion is significant in classical mechanics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system over time. It is a fundamental concept in the study of conservative systems, where energy is conserved and the total potential and kinetic energy remains constant.

3. How is the integral of motion used in celestial mechanics?

In celestial mechanics, the integral of motion is used to describe the dynamics of celestial bodies, such as planets and satellites, in orbit around a central body. It helps us understand the stability of planetary orbits and the effects of gravitational interactions between celestial bodies.

4. Can the integral of motion be applied to all physical systems?

The integral of motion is most commonly used in conservative systems, where energy is conserved. However, it can also be applied to non-conservative systems, where energy is not conserved but the total energy remains constant. It is a versatile concept that can be applied to a wide range of physical systems.

5. How does the integral of motion relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The integral of motion is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The integral of motion helps us understand and predict the behavior of energy in physical systems, including those governed by the laws of thermodynamics.