Poisson Brackets / Levi-Civita Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses an identity involving the Levi-Civita symbol and how to manipulate it. The conversation also touches on the Kronecker Delta identities and how they may be related to the Levi-Civita symbol. The conversation ultimately concludes with a derivation of the identity using different summation indices.
Bismar
Hi,

I am stumped by how to expand/prove the following identity,

[tex]\{L_i ,L_j\}=\epsilon_{ijk} L_k[/tex]

I am feeling that my knowledge on how to manipulate the Levi-Civita is not up to scratch.

Am i correct in assuming,

[tex]L_i=\epsilon_{ijk} r_j p_k[/tex]
[tex]L_j=\epsilon_{jki} r_k p_i[/tex]

Which follows on to,

[tex]\{L_i ,L_j\}=\{\epsilon_{ijk} r_j p_k,\epsilon_{jki} r_k p_i\}[/tex]

And then I'm stuck. I'm assuming the Kronecker Delta identities with the Levi-Civita work into it in some way, but i do not understand how/why.

I can work it out if i expanded the Levi-Civita to such,

[tex]L_1=r_2 p_3 - r_3 p_2[/tex]
[tex]L_2=r_3 p_1 - r_1 p_3[/tex]
[tex]L_3=r_1 p_2 - r_2 p_1[/tex]

But then that's trivial... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, use different summation indices.

[tex] \left\{\epsilon_{ilk} r_{l}p_{k}, \epsilon_{jmn}r_{m}p_{n}\right\} [/tex]

Then, of course,

[tex] \left\{r_i, p_j\right\} = \delta_{ij} [/tex]

Sorry, I'm afraid i do not understand, where does that get you?

[tex]\epsilon_{ikl} \epsilon_{jmn}(\frac{dr_k p_l}{dr_o} \frac{dr_m p_n}{dp_o} - \frac{dr_m p_n}{dr_o} \frac{dr_k p_l}{dp_o})[/tex]

[tex] = \epsilon_{ikl} \epsilon_{jmn}(\delta_{ko}\delta_{no}p_l r_m -\delta_{mo}\delta_{lo} p_n r_k) [/tex]

If that's even right, which I'm sure isn't, I'm stuck again.

[tex]
\begin{split}
\{L_a,L_b\} &=\epsilon_{acd} \epsilon_{bef} \{x_c p_d,x_e p_f\} \\
&= \epsilon_{acd} \epsilon_{bef} (\{x_c,x_e p_f \} p_d+x_c \{p_d,x_e p_f \}) \\
&= \epsilon_{acd} \epsilon_{bef}(x_e p_d\delta_{cf} -x_c p_f \delta_{de}) \\
&= \epsilon_{acd} \epsilon_{bec} x_e p_d - \epsilon_{acd} \epsilon_{bdf} x_c p_f \\
&=[(-\delta_{ab} \delta_{de}+\delta_{ae} \delta_{db}) x_e p_d+ (\delta_{ab} \delta_{cf} - \delta_{af} \delta_{cb}) x_c p_f] \\
&= -\delta_{ab} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{p} + x_a p_b+\delta_{ab} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{p} -x_b p_a \\
&=x_a p_b-x_b p_a=\epsilon_{abc} L_c
\end{split}
[/tex]

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The Poisson bracket and Levi-Civita expansion are both important concepts in mathematics and physics, and understanding their relationship can be challenging. Let's break it down step by step to see if we can make it clearer for you.

First, it is important to note that the Poisson bracket is a mathematical operation used to describe the dynamics of a system, while the Levi-Civita symbol is a mathematical object used to represent the cross product in three-dimensional space. The two are related, but they serve different purposes.

Now, let's start with your initial assumption that L_i=\epsilon_{ijk} r_j p_k and L_j=\epsilon_{jki} r_k p_i. These expressions are correct, as they represent the angular momentum components in terms of position and momentum variables. However, it is important to note that the Levi-Civita symbol is not a vector, but rather a tensor, so the order of indices matters.

Next, let's look at the Poisson bracket of these two expressions, \{L_i ,L_j\}. Using the definition of the Poisson bracket, we can expand this expression as follows:

\{L_i ,L_j\}=\frac{\partial L_i}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial L_j}{\partial p_k}-\frac{\partial L_i}{\partial p_k}\frac{\partial L_j}{\partial r_k}

Substituting in the expressions for L_i and L_j that you provided, we get:

\{L_i ,L_j\}=\epsilon_{ikl} p_l \epsilon_{jkm} r_m - \epsilon_{ikl} r_l \epsilon_{jkm} p_m

Using the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol, we can rewrite this as:

\{L_i ,L_j\}=\epsilon_{ikl} \epsilon_{jkm} (p_l r_m - r_l p_m)

Now, using the well-known identity \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmn}=\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl}\delta_{kn}+\delta_{in}\delta_{jl}\delta_{km}, we can simplify this expression to:

\{L_i ,L_j\}=\delta_{ij} L_k - \delta_{ik} L_j

We can further

Related to Poisson Brackets / Levi-Civita Expansion

1. What are Poisson brackets?

Poisson brackets are a mathematical notation used to describe the behavior of dynamical systems in classical mechanics. They are used to calculate the equations of motion for a system by representing the relationship between position and momentum variables.

2. How are Poisson brackets calculated?

Poisson brackets are calculated using a specific formula that involves taking the partial derivatives of the position and momentum variables with respect to each other. The resulting expression is known as a Poisson bracket and can be used to determine the equations of motion for a given system.

3. What is the significance of Levi-Civita expansion in Poisson brackets?

The Levi-Civita expansion is a mathematical technique used to simplify the calculation of Poisson brackets. It involves expressing the Poisson bracket in terms of a sum of terms, making it easier to evaluate and manipulate. This expansion is particularly useful when working with complex systems or higher-order derivatives.

4. How are Poisson brackets used in Hamiltonian mechanics?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, Poisson brackets are used to represent the fundamental relationship between position and momentum variables. They are essential for calculating the equations of motion and determining the conserved quantities of a system. Poisson brackets also play a crucial role in the Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of Poisson brackets?

Poisson brackets have many applications in physics and engineering, including celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and control theory. They are also used in various fields of mathematics, such as differential geometry and topology. In addition, Poisson brackets have practical applications in fields such as robotics, aerodynamics, and fluid mechanics.