Poisson PDE in polar coordinates with FDM

In summary, a Poisson PDE in polar coordinates is a mathematical equation used to describe physical systems in circular or spherical domains. FDM is a numerical technique for solving these PDEs, which involves approximating the continuous equation with a discrete system and solving it using linear algebra. Some advantages of FDM include easy implementation, handling of complex geometries, and accurate solutions. However, there are limitations such as dependence on grid spacing and limited boundary condition forms, as well as increased computational complexity for higher-dimensional problems.
kicsicsibe
I want to solve a Laplace PDE in a polar coordinate system with finite difference method.
9E15k.png

and the boundary conditions:
gGDbg.png

Here that I found in the internet:
oeNAL.png

and the analytical result is:
CHhUj.png

The question is how its works? Can I give an example or itd?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I know this, but I search an example where this problem solved.

Related to Poisson PDE in polar coordinates with FDM

1. What is a Poisson PDE in polar coordinates?

A Poisson PDE (Partial Differential Equation) in polar coordinates is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a physical system in terms of its position in a polar coordinate system. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat distribution or electric potential, in circular or spherical domains.

2. What is FDM in relation to solving Poisson PDEs in polar coordinates?

FDM (Finite Difference Method) is a numerical technique used to solve Poisson PDEs in polar coordinates. It involves approximating the continuous PDE with a discrete system of equations, which can then be solved using standard linear algebra techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using FDM to solve Poisson PDEs in polar coordinates?

One advantage of using FDM is that it is relatively easy to implement and can handle complex geometries. It also provides accurate solutions and can handle non-uniform boundary conditions.

4. How does FDM work in solving Poisson PDEs in polar coordinates?

FDM works by dividing the domain into a grid of discrete points and approximating the derivatives in the PDE using finite difference approximations. These approximations are then used to form a system of linear equations, which can be solved to obtain the solution to the PDE at each point in the grid.

5. Are there any limitations to using FDM to solve Poisson PDEs in polar coordinates?

Yes, FDM has some limitations, such as the accuracy of the solution being dependent on the grid spacing and the boundary conditions being limited to a specific form. It also becomes computationally expensive for higher-dimensional problems.