Polar bear as cartographer's apprentice?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the crew of the "Hydrograf" were surprised to see a white bear on their boat in the middle of the night, and after a few hours of exploration, the bear climbed back out and swam off.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Or, at least, this young male suddenly appeared on board the cartographer ship "Hydrograf" 2AM.
As can be seen on the video, it was very interested in the blue garbage container, and on one of the photos, it has smelled the humans observing it through a ventilation hatch to the (locked) cabin.

Once the bear had explored the boat for an hour and a half, it climbed out again, and swam off..
http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/09/02/nyheter/innenriks/isbjorn/17944937/

Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
Or, at least, this young male suddenly appeared on board the cartographer ship "Hydrograf" 2AM.
As can be seen on the video, it was very interested in the blue garbage container, and on one of the photos, it has smelled the humans observing it through a ventilation hatch to the (locked) cabin.

Once the bear had explored the boat for an hour and a half, it climbed out again, and swam off..
http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/09/02/nyheter/innenriks/isbjorn/17944937/
Thank God no one wandered out on deck to round a corner only to see that cute little white fur ball staring them down. Do they have a clue how the bear got on board in the first place ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Thank God no one wandered out on deck to round a corner only to see that cute little white fur ball staring them down. Do they have a clue how the bear got on board in the first place ?

Rhody...
It had followed the boat for three days, on land and in sea.
It had attempted to get on board one time earlier, in daytime, but was unsuccessful.

So, it obviously had the determination to get on board..

arildno said:
It had followed the boat for three days, on :bugeye: land and in sea.
It had attempted to get on board one time earlier, in daytime, but was unsuccessful.

So, it obviously had the determination to get on board..

Are you kidding me ! How many days swimming ! Did he think a hot female polar bear was onboard ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Are you kidding me ! How many days swimming ! Did he think a hot female polar bear was onboard ?

Rhody...

Since the bear seemed well nourished, that might well have been the reason behind its determination..

arildno said:
Since the bear seemed well nourished, that might well have been the reason behind its determination..
OK, a female polar bear somehow got on board, left her scent and went undetected while she was there and left. Then, this male decided she was worth swimming for ? What other possible scenario's are there ?

Rhody...

Last edited:
rhody said:
OK, a female polar bear somehow got on board, left here scent and went undetected while she was there and left. Then, this male decided she was worth swimming for ? What other possible scenario's are there ?

Rhody...
Polar bearesses smell like garbage?

Once bears get a taste for our food-scraps, cooking-grease, etc, they can be pretty determined when they catch a whiff of garbage. I'm guessing that garbage container might smell pretty good to a bear.

turbo said:
Once bears get a taste for our food-scraps, cooking-grease, etc, they can be pretty determined when they catch a whiff of garbage. I'm guessing that garbage container might smell pretty good to a bear.
I will give you that turbo, but following the ship by swimming even if going slow for three days ? Cmon, pickings for food can't be that slim on land, can they ? Let me put it this way, if you saw what you believed to be your soul mate, just briefly, then had to swim behind a boat for even one 24 hour period to be with her, would you ?

Rhody...

Last edited:
rhody said:
I will give you that turbo, but following the ship by swimming even if going slow for three days ? Cmon, pickings for food can't be that slim on land, can they ? Let me put it this way, if you saw what you believed to be your soul mate, just briefly, then had to swim behind a boat for even one 24 hour period to be with her, would you ?

Rhody...
It didn't swim for three days.
The crew had observed it over a three day period, sometimes at sea, sometimes on land.
The "Hydrograf" was on a survey mission to establish a new sea lane, and was therefore criss-crossing a fairly small area that was the habitat of the bear in the first place.

The odor may have been perceived differently from a distance, perhaps cementing the bear's determination. Maybe mixed odors separate in the air? Maybe the bear had good results from previous trash dining.

arildno said:
[URL]http://www.dagbladet.no/2[/quote]

I find it wonderful that a bear boards a boat and after it's done, simply swims off. :) I wonder how, or if, it every really navigates that featureless ice scape?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Polar bear as cartographer's apprentice?

1. How does a polar bear become a cartographer's apprentice?

A polar bear can become a cartographer's apprentice through training and observation. They learn how to navigate and map their surroundings by following the lead of experienced cartographers.

2. What role does a polar bear play as a cartographer's apprentice?

A polar bear plays a crucial role in helping a cartographer with tasks such as surveying, collecting data, and drawing maps. They also provide valuable insight and knowledge about their Arctic environment.

3. What are the challenges of having a polar bear as a cartographer's apprentice?

One of the main challenges is communication, as polar bears cannot speak human languages. Additionally, their physical needs, such as food and shelter, must be taken into consideration in remote Arctic locations.

4. How do polar bears benefit from being a cartographer's apprentice?

Polar bears benefit from learning new skills and gaining a better understanding of their environment. They also have the opportunity to form a unique bond with their human counterparts.

5. Can a polar bear become a cartographer without being an apprentice?

It is unlikely that a polar bear could become a cartographer without first being an apprentice. Cartography requires specialized skills and knowledge that can only be gained through training and experience.