Polar coordinates to evaluate double integral

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the double integral of xy over a region defined by the polar equation r=sin(2theta), from 0<theta<pi/2. The person is struggling with converting to polar coordinates and is seeking guidance. The advice given is to draw a sketch of the region to determine the limits of integration for the polar coordinates.
brunette15
I am trying to evaluate \int\int xy dxdy over the region R that is defined by r=sin(2theta), from 0<theta<pi/2. I am struggling on where to begin with this. I have tried converting to polar coordinates but am not really getting anywhere. Any guidance would be really appreciated (Crying)

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
I am trying to evaluate \(\displaystyle \iint xy\, dxdy\) over the region R that is defined by \(\displaystyle r=\sin(2\theta)\), from \(\displaystyle 0<\theta<\pi/2\). I am struggling on where to begin with this. I have tried converting to polar coordinates but am not really getting anywhere. Any guidance would be really appreciated (Crying)
Converting to polar coordinates should certainly be the way to go. Can you show what you have done so far, so that we can see why it's "not really getting anywhere"?

The conditions \(\displaystyle r=\sin(2\theta)\), from \(\displaystyle 0<\theta<\pi/2\), define a closed curve. Presumably the region R is meant to be the region enclosed by this curve. Drawing a rough sketch of R might help you to see what the limits of integration should be, for the polar coordinates.

FAQ: Polar coordinates to evaluate double integral

1. What are polar coordinates and how do they differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system used to locate points in a two-dimensional plane. They differ from Cartesian coordinates in that they use a distance from a fixed point (the origin) and an angle from a fixed reference direction (usually the positive x-axis) to specify a point, rather than using horizontal and vertical distances.

2. How are polar coordinates used to evaluate double integrals?

Polar coordinates can be used to evaluate double integrals when the region of integration is circular or has a circular component. This is because the integration limits in polar coordinates are typically easier to determine and the equations for calculating the area element and the integrand are simpler in polar coordinates.

3. What is the formula for converting a double integral from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

The formula for converting a double integral from Cartesian to polar coordinates is:

∫∫R f(x,y) dA = ∫∫D f(r cosθ, r sinθ) r dr dθ

where R represents the region of integration in Cartesian coordinates and D represents the same region in polar coordinates.

4. Can polar coordinates be used for non-circular regions?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used for non-circular regions as long as the region can be described using polar equations or inequalities. In such cases, the integration limits and equations may be more complicated, but the same formula for converting the double integral can still be applied.

5. Are there any advantages to using polar coordinates over Cartesian coordinates for evaluating double integrals?

Yes, there are some advantages to using polar coordinates for evaluating double integrals. As mentioned before, they are particularly useful for circular or circular-like regions, as the equations and integration limits are simpler. Additionally, polar coordinates can provide a more intuitive understanding of certain physical problems, such as those involving circular motion or symmetry.