Polar Moment of Inertia

Usaid3112
Homework Statement
the centroidal moment of inertia about the x axis for the area shown is 142.41 cm^4. Most nearly what is the centroidal polar moment of inertia. The answer is C. What confuses me is that the solution says that the Y axis passes through the Centroid of the shape so parallel axis theorem shouldn't be applicable. Clarifications would be appreciated.
Relevant Equations
Iyc= Iy + Ad^2
IMG_0488.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
Physics news on Phys.org
The apparent correct answer given in the textbook is J=330 cm^4. I ended up using parallel axis theorem as I could not see how the Y axis passed through the centroid as the given y axis is completely towards the left side of the whole shape.My attempt at this question:-

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1
Usaid3112 said:
The apparent correct answer given in the textbook is J=330 cm^4. I ended up using parallel axis theorem as I could not see how the Y axis passed through the centroid as the given y axis is completely towards the left side of the whole shape.My attempt at this question:-
The centroidal moment of inertia "about the x-axis" is given to be IXC = 142.41 cm4. You can check that this is the moment of inertia about an axis parallel to the x-axis that passes through the centroid. So, it is not the moment of inertia about the x-axis as drawn in the figure.

The same applies to IYC. So, you would not use the parallel axis theorem in calculating IYC.

1722446153230.png

Likes SammyS and vela